Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Lt Col the hon Peter Adamson 71st regiment

Please post all research regarding individual Napoleonic soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Re: Lt Col the hon Peter Adamson 71st regiment

Postby OXFORDMON » June 22nd, 2014, 6:46 pm

Many thanks for this very useful information patchcanada, and a warm welcome to the forum!

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » November 5th, 2015, 9:41 am

A Portuguese friend sent me this photo of the uniform, with the Order of the Tower and Sword medal, that Wellington wore while In Portugal.

Sarah

Tower and Sword Order medal.jpg
Tower and Sword Order medal.jpg (34.17 KiB) Viewed 177 times
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby SallyD651 » July 21st, 2017, 3:45 pm

Peter Adamson is one of my ancestors. Not only did he serve in the Peninsular War, he also drummed up volunteers for 2 rebellions in Canada, helped fund one of the first Anglican churches in Canada, but his home later became the first site used by the Canadian Government. He had come to Canada in 1821.
I'm still trying to discover his history. There is a book by Stuart Reid, called "Wellington's Officers: A Biographical Dictionary Of The Field Officers And Their Staff Officers Of The British Army 1793-1815" which lists what units he was in & what battles. I also came across a reference that said the British Army aided the royal family of Portugal in fleeing to the New World, & that may be why the King of Portugal awarded the KTS, which had previously been defunct.
One thing I'm trying to unravel is the identity of his wife, Joanna McLeod. Her name is similar to one of his superior officers.
SallyD651

Previous

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors