Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Lt Col the hon Peter Adamson 71st regiment

Please post all research regarding individual Napoleonic soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Lt Col the hon Peter Adamson 71st regiment

Postby Josh&Historyland » September 4th, 2013, 4:48 pm

I was contacted by someone on my website asking if I had access to the rolls of those involved in the Battle of Waterloo.
I haven't heard anything back from them yet but they have a photo of him with his medals when he was apparently 90 years old, so if I can find a way to help I will.

Can anyone give me any information regarding this name.

Lt Col the hon Peter Adamson 71st regiment. KTS. He apparently served in the Peninsula with the 71st and was attatched to the Portuguese, the relatives believe he was also at Waterloo. No rank was given to me, and I'm assuming that the Lt Colonelcy was a retirement commission, but odds on he must have been an officer to achieve that rank by the end of his service. Any help will be passed on to the relatives if at all possible.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Re: Lt Col the hon Peter Adamson 71st regiment

Postby OXFORDMON » September 4th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Hi Josh

Not at Waterloo.

Army Gold Medal for Salamanca, Major in the 4th Portuguese Cacadores.

He died in 1834 so a photo seems unlikely?

Also he died before the issue of the war medal HOWEVER he is listed in one source as receiving one!

MGSM with 7 bars:

Fuentes d'Onor
Ciudad Rodrigo
Badajoz
Vitoria
San Sebastian
Nivelle
Nive

Very strange :?

Lt Col 1814.

I would love to see that picture :)

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » September 4th, 2013, 7:03 pm

Josh&Historyland wrote:Lt Col the hon Peter Adamson 71st regiment. KTS.

Forgive my ignorance but what is KTS?

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby OXFORDMON » September 4th, 2013, 8:35 pm

FBC-Elvas, Portugal wrote:
Josh&Historyland wrote:Lt Col the hon Peter Adamson 71st regiment. KTS.

Forgive my ignorance but what is KTS?

Sarah

Sarah,

I think:

Knight of the Order of the Tower and Sword of Portugal.

Andy
Attachments
Portugal27.jpg
Portugal27.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 1021 times
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Josh&Historyland » September 4th, 2013, 10:27 pm

OXFORDMON wrote:Hi Josh

Not at Waterloo.

Army Gold Medal for Salamanca, Major in the 4th Portuguese Cacadores.

He died in 1834 so a photo seems unlikely?

Also he died before the issue of the war medal HOWEVER he is listed in one source as receiving one!

MGSM with 7 bars:

Fuentes d'Onor
Ciudad Rodrigo
Badajoz
Vitoria
San Sebastian
Nivelle
Nive

Very strange :?

Lt Col 1814.

I would love to see that picture :)

Andy

Thanks Andy. Seems that part is true, part is confused then, I agree if that was when he died he may not have been photographed. So I'd love to see the picture too, but so far my attempts to re-contact the relatives (Who contacted me via a comment, and who I directed to this forum) have been answered by a deafening silence, hopefully someone will get back to me soon, but it's been a while.
Thanks again.
Josh.
Last edited by Josh&Historyland on September 5th, 2013, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » September 5th, 2013, 6:37 am

Josh&Historyland wrote: the relatives believe he was also at Waterloo.

According to his Challis card, Adamson wasn't at Waterloo. Scroll down to Adamson Peter on http://www.napoleon-series.org/research ... llisA.html and you'll see his record.

Andy, you're right. Knight of Tower and Sword (Cavaleiro da Torre e Espada). Quite an honour. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_t ... _and_Sword

Sarah
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Josh&Historyland » September 5th, 2013, 10:41 am

Thank You Sarah. That seems to settle the matter of the Waterloo question. Its very interesting about his decoration.

Josh.
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby OXFORDMON » September 5th, 2013, 4:27 pm

FBC-Elvas, Portugal wrote:According to his Challis card, Adamson wasn't at Waterloo. Scroll down to Adamson Peter on http://www.napoleon-series.org/research ... llisA.html and you'll see his record.

Thanks for the link Sarah, again Challis claims he received the Military General Service Medal with 7 clasps, but records his death as 1834 which makes this quite impossible!

Andy
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » September 6th, 2013, 7:55 am

Here's a portrait of the Duke wearing the Tower and Sword. He's wearing it in most of the paintings, drawings and engravings of him.

Wellington wearing the Tower and Sword.jpg
Wellington wearing the Tower and Sword.jpg (44.85 KiB) Viewed 995 times

Sarah
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby patchcanada » June 22nd, 2014, 2:20 pm

I may be able to shed some light on this subject. I noticed that the location of the grave of Peter Adamson was never mentioned.
It is located in a small churchyard cemetery in Erindale Ontario. The gravestone reads

"Sacred to the Memory of Gen. The Hon. Peter Adamson KTS, Died July 12, 1865, Age 90, He served his country 40 years and was engaged in the following battles: (Spelling is as on stone) Talavera, busaca, Fuentes D'onro, Ciudad Rodrigo, Salamanca, Burgus, Vittonia, Nivelle.

The cemetery contains many of my family going back to the early 1800's. If this grave is accurate, there could very well be a photograph of the General(?) in existence. The grave also has a relief shield which has a sword and cross (double) at the top and a shield with what appear to be three trees. The Latin phrase at the bottom is (blurred) Crux? Min Grata Quies.

In addition, Peter Adamson's will is posted in the Ontario Archives wherein he leaves 700 acres to Charles and Isabella Mitchell and their sons. Adamson is listed as living in Toronto House in the County of Peel and his land was in Halton County, Lots 11, 12 and 13 in township of Esquesing. His substantial indebtedness to the Ontario Bank is also mentioned.

I found it hugely surprising to find the grave of a Napoleonic General in a little churchyard in Ontario. I hope this helps someone.
patchcanada

Next

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors