Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Henry Marsh - 58th Regiment of Foot

Please post all research regarding individual Napoleonic soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Henry Marsh - 58th Regiment of Foot

Postby researchingreg » May 7th, 2015, 9:42 pm

I am trying to research my wife's 4 x Great Grandfather,who I believe was in the 58th Regiment of Foot. I thought he was an officer and at at least 3 of his sons became Army officers and one became a Surgeon. He was born in 1782 at Thornbury, Gloucestershire. I have found this information which probably one of the forum experts can decipher.

Marsh, Henry
Surg, 58Ft, 25 Feb ’05.
Pa. July ’09-Feb ’13.
Sal, Burg..

it is an extract from Lionel S Challis's "Peninsular Roll Call" - Which I think means his rank was surgeon and looking at the abbreviations on the site It seems that Pa is the service time in the Pennisular War July '09 to Feb '13 and Burg means service at Burgos, but the abbreviation 'Sal' is not in the list. Could it be Salamanca?
researchingreg

Re: Henry Marsh - 58th Regiment of Foot

Postby Josh&Historyland » May 7th, 2015, 10:07 pm

Correct.

The first seems to attest to his joining the 58th on 25 Feb 1805.
I agree Pa. must be Peninsula, service from 1809 to 13.
Burg almost certainly means the siege of Burgos in 1812 and Sal, must also mean Salamanca though this battle preceded the Burgos campaign.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » May 8th, 2015, 8:38 am

'Sal.' and 'Burg' would be clasps to which he was entitled on his Peninsula medal, wouldn't they?
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Josh&Historyland » May 8th, 2015, 11:29 am

I suppose that would depend on whether the reference was talking about his medal or his service,
(Does good ole Sal live in this Burg?)

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby OXFORDMON » May 8th, 2015, 7:38 pm

He doesn't appear on the medal roll so I presume he died before 1847-8. Salamanca and Burgos presumably outline his service, Challis' roll usually states SM (Silver Medal). Burgos wasn't a clasp anyway, defeats rarely are! :)

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Josh&Historyland » May 8th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Especially damp squib defeats that fall into that odd category. "Failure to successfully take a town."

Josh.
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » May 9th, 2015, 7:34 am

OXFORDMON wrote:He doesn't appear on the medal roll so I presume he died before 1847-8. Salamanca and Burgos presumably outline his service, Challis' roll usually states SM (Silver Medal). Burgos wasn't a clasp anyway, defeats rarely are! :)

Andy

Ah yes. Odd then for it to be mentioned in the Roll. Does 'Burg', then, simply means 'present at' the failure to take the town (Nice to be reminded)?
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby OXFORDMON » May 9th, 2015, 11:34 am

I don't think Burgos was even a battle honour? So yes it simply means present at. I believe New Orleans was considered as a clasp but was rejected for I guess the same reason (much to the chagrin of veterans and future medal collectors!)

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » August 7th, 2016, 6:45 am

OXFORDMON wrote:I don't think Burgos was even a battle honour?
Andy

It was for the KGL. The German 1st and 2nd KGL Light battalions saved Wellington's bacon and possibly his life at Venta del Pozo on the retreat from Burgos in 1812. They wore the "Venta del Pozo" battle honour until 1918.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors