Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Waterloo 'Mace'

Please post all research regarding individual Napoleonic soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Waterloo 'Mace'

Postby Andrew » December 18th, 2015, 11:39 am

Can anyone help me with this: William Moore and Thomas Moore served with the 52nd at Waterloo. On the regimental Waterloo muster roll the annotation 'Waterloo Mace' is added after their names. Does anyone have any idea what this is/was? Might it have been some sort of regimental award? Both were private soldiers throughout their time in the army and neither were ever included in the list of drummers (which I thought might have something to do with it).

Thanks for any help.

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Re: Waterloo 'Mace'

Postby Mark » December 20th, 2015, 6:10 pm

I wonder if the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum would know?

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby OXFORDMON » December 20th, 2015, 8:04 pm

It doesn't sound like any award I've heard of in the regiment, I haven't heard this term before, I'd be interested to know its meaning too!

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Andrew » December 20th, 2015, 8:33 pm

Thanks both, for your responses. If I find out I will post it. Still hoping someone out there might help; we did have a '52nd man' as a member...

Andrew
Andrew

Postby Mark » December 21st, 2015, 7:40 pm

I have mentioned this post to a gentleman I know who has worked with the Soldiers of Oxfordshire Museum, who says he will see if he can find out anything. If he does, I will let you know.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Andrew » December 21st, 2015, 11:52 pm

Thanks Mark!
Andrew

Postby John » October 6th, 2016, 10:27 am

Have just come across your post about Waterloo Mace, Andrew. I have been equally puzzled having spotted the same on the muster rolls. I have checked with the Regimental Museum and a military historian with a special interest in the Napoleonic Wars but am still none the wiser.

I am also most interested to see a reference to William Moore of the 52nd Regt Foot. There were two people by the name of William Moore in the regiment at Waterloo. In the muster rolls they are given as “William Moore (1) Baker of Nottingham” and Wlliam Moore (2) Labourer of Berks” or sometimes “Bucks”.

"William Moore, Baker of Nottingham" is my 3x great grandfather. He joined the regiment from the Cheshire Militia on 1 April 1809. If we have a common interest in his military service and what became of him afterwards I would be pleased to share information with you.

John
John

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » October 6th, 2016, 2:39 pm

A warm welcome to the forum John.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Andrew » October 7th, 2016, 2:18 pm

John wrote:Have just come across your post about Waterloo Mace, Andrew. I have been equally puzzled having spotted the same on the muster rolls. I have checked with the Regimental Museum and a military historian with a special interest in the Napoleonic Wars but am still none the wiser.

I am also most interested to see a reference to William Moore of the 52nd Regt Foot. There were two people by the name of William Moore in the regiment at Waterloo. In the muster rolls they are given as “William Moore (1) Baker of Nottingham” and Wlliam Moore (2) Labourer of Berks” or sometimes “Bucks”.

"William Moore, Baker of Nottingham" is my 3x great grandfather. He joined the regiment from the Cheshire Militia on 1 April 1809. If we have a common interest in his military service and what became of him afterwards I would be pleased to share information with you.

John

Thanks for the offer John. In fact the inquiry was on behalf of a friend. I will get back to him and see if he has any family connections.

Andrew
Andrew

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors