Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Private Meehan 40th foot.

Please post all research regarding individual Napoleonic soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Private Meehan 40th foot.

Postby devils own » August 7th, 2016, 10:15 pm

Good evening All.
Could anybody tell me if their was a private Meehan in the 1st batt 40th foot from 1814/15 to 1817.
Reason is that a Mary Meehan came over from France to Glasgow in April 1817 with the 40th & as wife of john Carberry & gave birth to a son on the 21 November 1817. they went on to have 5 children together. Thing is we dont know where she came from. she was in France with the 40th, but was she the daughter or widow of someone from the 40th to be allowed on ship to scotland.
Can anyone help?

Paul
devils own

Re: Private Meehan 40th foot.

Postby jf42 » August 7th, 2016, 10:42 pm

I can't help you with an individual named Meehan serving in the 40th. It's worth bearing in mind, though, that if Mary Meehan had been associated with another soldier in the 40th before John Carberry, it needn't have been in the form of a lawful marriage. While it is worth checking the Muster rolls for soldiers named Meehan- there may be more than one- if you should draw a blank, it need not be the only explanation.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Re: Private Meehan 40th foot.

Postby devils own » August 8th, 2016, 7:14 am

Morning
I agree. After John Died in 1835 in India she did indeed marry a C/Sgt in the same regiment. He then died on the ship coming home from India. she disappeared after that. We were lead to believe john met her in Glasgow, until the date of birth and age on the son headstone, Who was a Sgt in the same regiment, which said 1817.
All we know is that Mary Meehan was a catholic ,so was John Carberry, all their children were baptized in latin, & every one of the 4 children are in the Army Chaplin returns as baptized in that regiment. except the oldest son John. My aim is to find out is: was she the daughter or widow of a soldier of the army of occupation in Paris after Waterloo. i am sure the Army didnt just let a women climb aboard the ship the Lord Middleton from Calais to Scotland without her having been either the wife or daughter of that regiment.

Paul
devils own

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors