Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Private William Jordan 33rd Foot - pension

Please post all research regarding individual Napoleonic soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Private William Jordan 33rd Foot - pension

Postby buxboy » August 20th, 2016, 10:26 am

About 30 years ago I bought the Waterloo medal earned by William Jordan 33rd Foot, it wasn't until the bicentenary that I started to make a real effort to do some research into his life. I know from his discharge papers that he was discharged due to the reduction of the Regiment in 1821 and that although he is shown as born in Alnwick in 1788 he enlisted in Ireland in 1813 and was also discharged there. His papers also state that he was entitled to a pension. My question is how did private soldiers receive this pension and was there any records kept.
buxboy

Re: Private William Jordan 33rd Foot - pension

Postby 348 White » August 24th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Not sure if you know all, this already, but Pvt William Jordan served in No 2 company at Waterloo.
Many soldiers received Waterloo medals, but actually did not see action on 16th to 18th June 1815,. this would not be the case with the 33rd who seem to have been especially scrupulous on this point.

The pension is interesting, as Jordan had not served with an unblemished record.He had been a Corporal from 25th July 1813 to 7th June of the following year, when he was reduced to the ranks.
348 White
Participating Member

Postby buxboy » August 25th, 2016, 2:46 pm

Thanks for the reply, I did know about his rank changes(perhaps they thought a Waterloo man deserved more than just a medal) anyway my question must hold true for many army pensioners in early 19th century Ireland how would a man in the country with no access to a bank or post office receive his pension?
buxboy

Postby 348 White » August 25th, 2016, 8:58 pm

Following from a web site:

Before 1842 pensions were paid by officials locally (tax collectors in England, Scotland and Wales, and Post Masters elsewhere), and no records seem to survive. In 1842 pensions staff officers were appointed, who made monthly returns to the War Office, recording who had moved in to, or out of, the district, whose pensions had ceased, and who had died. (Cited from: http://www.militarian.com/threads/briti ... ions.6590/)
348 White
Participating Member

Postby buxboy » August 26th, 2016, 7:30 am

Thanks very much for directing me to the appropriate web site.
buxboy

Postby 348 White » July 20th, 2017, 3:12 pm

As a man born in Alnwick Jordan was possibly with the Northumberland Militia who were posted in Ireland?

Possibly also one of the five volunteers who joined gentleman volunteer William Thain into the 33rd in 1813,
" for these five men were the means of getting an ensigncy. I might, to be sure, have got one in the 37th or 34th, but the choice I was enabled to make of the 33rd through means of these five men volunteering in to it when they did has turned out to be worth many times three hundred pounds to me."
348 White
Participating Member

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors