Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

John Davies 3rd Foot, Toulouse, Pyrenees

Please post all research regarding individual Napoleonic soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

John Davies 3rd Foot, Toulouse, Pyrenees

Postby mathias151 » April 5th, 2017, 7:20 pm

John Davies, otherwise known as Jac Parcyrhos, was a farm servant who found himself, after drinking in a local Teifi side tavern (Cwmann), joining up and being taken off to the Peninsular wars. His army service (written later by a family member in Welsh) is described as being part of the Roamers, which I think may have been something to do wih the gathering of intelligence or observing the enemy at a distance. I have tracked down what I think is his pension record, but I am very interested in finding out what he would have been doing during his army days. The brief notes say that he arrived at the battle of Waterloo the day after the battle, and he describes the piles of dead he saw. Then it is claimed he went elsewhere in France, but came back to Carmarthenshire and had the good fortune to lease a smallholding from a General who had land holdings in Llanwenog/Llanwnnen... this could not have been Picton as he died on the Waterloo battle field. If anyone can help with any ideas I would be grateful. According to the welsh text no other Pencarreg/Llanwenog soldier is known to have fought in any similar places... but this is not necessarily true. He died at home, having sired 10 children !
mathias151

Re: John Davies 3rd Foot, Toulouse, Pyrenees

Postby Banker » April 6th, 2017, 3:08 am

I found a John Davies on the MGS roll with bars Pyrenees and Toulouse for what its worth

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker
Forum Moderator

Postby mathias151 » April 16th, 2017, 7:25 pm

Sorry for delay in replying... excuse my ignorance... what is MGS? - and is there a web page? Thanks
mathias151

Postby Banker » April 17th, 2017, 12:47 am

MGS is the Military General Service medal for the army during the Napoleonic War. This is from the book but the rolls should be available for download via the National Archives and maybe Ancestry/ Find My Past

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker
Forum Moderator

Postby mathias151 » April 18th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Diolch... will check if my info accords... much appreciated.
mathias151

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors