Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Alexander Crigan, surgeon, HMS Shannon, 1803

Please post all research regarding individual Napoleonic soldiers and sailors here, including requests for information!

Alexander Crigan, surgeon, HMS Shannon, 1803

Postby ainslie » October 9th, 2017, 10:08 am

Hello, this is my first post so please forgive any errors.

I am looking for information about Alexander Crigan who was a surgeon in HMS Shannon, frigate, taken by the French when she grounded on the Normandy coast in 1803.
I have found a reference to his detention at Verdun, but I believe he may have escaped from Arras.
'The Depot for Prisoners of War at Norman Cross, Hunts, 1796-1816', chapter XI lists British prisoners in Verdun. Crigan is named among surgeons' mates, with an entry 'escaped from Arras', but no date is given. The Naval Chronicle of 1808 lists him as an assistant surgeon at the Royal Naval Hospital, Paignton.
Crigan was born in Liverpool in 1780 and qualified in medicine at Edinburgh in 1803, so must have been new to the service. He later became a clergyman, with parishes in Yorkshire.
This period of history is a new field for me, and I should be grateful for any information or hints about finding more on Crigan's captivity and probable escape.

Ainslie
ainslie

Re: Alexander Crigan, surgeon, HMS Shannon, 1803

Postby Andrew » October 9th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Welcome to the Forum Ainslie! I'm sorry I can't help you, but I am sure there will be someone who can. Be sure to share what you learn.

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Return to Researching Individual Soldiers & Sailors