Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Nelson and Nepotism

Have you written any articles or essays based on your own research? If so, and if you would like to share, why not publish them here?

Nelson and Nepotism

Postby researchingreg » June 24th, 2016, 8:38 pm

I came across this while doing some research, which might interest Nelson aficionados:
I have been researching my wife's 6th great Grandfather Charles Harward, Dean of Exeter Cathedral, who died on 15th July 1802 and Nelson wasted no time in putting forward his older brother the Rev William Nelson, for the post, and applied to the then Prime Minister Henry Addington in July 1802 to intercede on behalf of his brother for the position. He sent his 'compliments' to Charles Harward's widow Louisa Yonge Using her maiden name and I would have thought condolences would be a better word than compliments. Anyway his string pulling did not work and Charles Talbot became the Dean of Exeter Cathedral. (source Nelsons Letters)
His brother William did well out Nelson anyway He succeeded by a special remainder, to one of his younger brother's baronies (Baron Nelson, of the Nile and of Hilborough in the County of Norfolk, created in 1801) on the latter's death at the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805, as well as to the Dukedom of Bronté, of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. A month later, on 20 November 1805, in honour of his late brother's achievements, he was created Earl Nelson and Viscount Merton, both of Trafalgar and of Merton in the County of Surrey,
researchingreg

Re: Nelson and Nepotism

Postby jf42 » June 25th, 2016, 7:05 am

researchingreg wrote: He sent his 'compliments' to Charles Harward's widow Louisa Yonge Using her maiden name and I would have thought condolences would be a better word than compliments.

'Compliments'' had a more general meaning at that time; a courteous message of respect. It wasn't just that he liked her shoes.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Re: Nelson and Nepotism

Postby DaveH » June 25th, 2016, 9:46 am

Having been a junior officer in the RN Reserve, I was filled up with all this nelson stuff, esp on 21/10, but doing research into the Second Italian campaign, I was interested to read numerous letters from nelson to Keith making regular excuses for what was effectively dereliction of duty, while he was actually seeking some time with Emma Hamilton. It is not something I has ever seen publicised. :roll:
DaveH

Return to Members Articles & Research