Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Interesting quote

Have you written any articles or essays based on your own research? If so, and if you would like to share, why not publish them here?

Interesting quote

Postby DaveH » July 23rd, 2016, 1:58 pm

Sums up what we are about really:

"Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
DaveH

Re: Interesting quote

Postby DaveH » August 10th, 2016, 1:35 pm

A thought of the German scientist, Max Planck, is equally applicable to new ideas in history:

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."
DaveH

Postby Mark » August 11th, 2016, 8:33 am

I particularly like the first quote. Very true and apt for us here on the forum.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby DaveH » August 11th, 2016, 10:53 am

My nearest connection to WW1 is that my paternal gfather's 2nd cousin was killed on the first day of the Somme. So, I cannot get interested in it really. However, it was interesting around 2000 as the last veterans were dying off that someone said that the interest in it was fading too as unless a diary turned up in an attic, there was nothing more to be said. That's true, so we have seen more analysis of the key events - and ironically enough, there was a good 3-parter on BBC2 on the Somme recently, where the presenter had been poking around in the German archives and had found material from which he could reanalyse the battle. He concluded that it was really a German defensive success!

I still think there is a lot tom turn up from the Euroepan archives to show how the Allies actually did "react" to the French and of course, Google books makes life a lot easier. However, what that is really doing is causing us to reassess the subject, rather than adding greatly to its literature - the effects, as Planck notes, may take longer to come to fruition.
DaveH

Return to Members Articles & Research