Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Book Review: (On the Napoleon Series) Wellington's HQ.

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest such as DVD/TV documentaries and film.

Book Review: (On the Napoleon Series) Wellington's HQ.

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 12th, 2017, 11:46 am

The link has all the pertinent product info, I can't post verbatim because I wrote it for the series, if that contravenes the rules you have my apologies.

https://www.napoleon-series.org/reviews/military/WellingtonHQ.pdf

Josh
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Re: Book Review: (On the Napoleon Series) Wellington's HQ.

Postby DaveH » October 12th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Glad to see a book like this being published - I think the late Prof Rothenberg was planning a survey book of all the major army staffs, but never got round to it. It is unfortunate that subjects, which really drive events, such as staffwork, logistics and the political-economic backdrop get overlooked in favour of the "sharp end" of Sharpe-type personalities (see what I did there? :lol:) and glorious victories, which often aren't as glorious as claimed.
In particular with staffs, so much rubbish has been written - Hittle being the worst offender - that it is about time this subject was looked at in itself and not as footnote to general works on armies. Stunned by the success of the Prussian-German Auftragstaktik in 1864-abt1942, many have tried to pretend it was a branch off from the "pure" Napoleonic French system and pushed the Auftrag model back on to the Napoleonic way. The UK armies up to the mass conscription of 1916 were relatively small and Wellington's army with short comms could still be managed by personal direction, just as Napoleon sought to do with the massive European armies post-1800. So, the Uk model does fundamentally difer from its European counterparts.

Hopefully, we will see more of this, now that war in general is not seen as quite so glamorous as it was in the bicentennial period.
DaveH

Postby Senarmont198 » October 12th, 2017, 3:27 pm

Ward's excellent volume has been around for quite awhile (first published in 1957). It is highly recommended and is a must for anyone who is interested in both how Wellington's army was administered and as a study on staffs.

Also highly recommended are General Paul Thiebault's French staff manuals of 1800 and 1813. The first was translated into both English and German. The latter is on Google Books and the first is available in print, but could be expensive.
Senarmont198

Postby DaveH » October 12th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Hittle's wretched influence seems still to infect the subject - this from a book published this year about the WW1 British staff https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=zDc ... lt&f=false (p.17)
DaveH

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials