Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Andrew Field's Grouchy's Waterloo

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest such as DVD/TV documentaries and film.

Andrew Field's Grouchy's Waterloo

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » April 30th, 2017, 8:12 am

Grouchy's Waterloo by Andrew Field, one of the Forum's Academic Advisers has just been published.

Publisher's note: In this concluding volume of his highly praised study exploring the French perspective of the Waterloo campaign, Andrew Field concentrates on an often neglected aspect of Napoleon's final offensive the French victory over the Prussians at Ligny, Marshal Grouchy's pursuit of the Prussians and the battle at Wavre. The story of this side of the campaign is as full of controversy and interest as the battles of Quatre Bras and Waterloo which he has examined in such a penetrating and original way in his previous studies.

Napoleon in his memoirs accused Grouchy, like Marshal Ney, of a series of failures in command that led to the French defeat, and many subsequent historians have taken the same line. This is one of the long-standing controversies that Andrew Field explores in fascinating detail. Grouchy's extensive description of his operations forms the backbone of the narrative, supplemented by other French sources and those of Prussian eyewitnesses.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Re: Andrew Field's Grouchy's Waterloo

Postby DaveH » April 30th, 2017, 1:24 pm

These autocratic leaders always blame others for their own failures - Bernadotte for Jena, Bernadotte for Eylau (messenger conveniently dead), the Danube for Aspern and Grouchy for Waterloo. They will be accused of spreading fake news soon ....
DaveH

Postby Andrew » April 30th, 2017, 8:44 pm

[quote="FBC-Elvas, Portugal"]Grouchy's Waterloo by Andrew Field, one of the Forum's Academic Advisers has just been published.

Thanks for the publicity Sarah. Now that I have been doing this a few years, I have learnt with each book I've written. On that basis, this volume is the one I am most pleased with and I hope any forum members who read it enjoy it. I would be happy to take any questions or respond to any comment from anyone on the subject whether they have read it or not.

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Digby » May 1st, 2017, 7:34 am

I just ordered it via Book Depository.
I have both of Andrews previous books and am looking forward to getting this one. (note the operative word "getting") my reading list is getting longer by the week.

Poor Grouchy and his son, spent the rest of their lives defending his actions during the campaign.

I am (probably like most of us on here) a great admirer of Napoleon, but I always thought that his choice of commanders for his left and right flank were both late and poor.

Grouchy was a cavalry commander, used to commanding large cavalry units on the battlefield, not a whole army corps, let alone two, in independent command.
Last edited by Digby on May 2nd, 2017, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Digby

Postby Andrew » May 1st, 2017, 9:16 pm

Digby wrote: I am (probably like most of us on here) a great admirer of Napoleon, but I always thought that his choices of commander for his left and right flank were both late and poor.

Digby,

of course you are right. Unfortunately, Napoleon did not have many marshals to choose from as most were either no longer fit for campaigning or had decided not to throw their lot in with him. Both Davout and Soult would no doubt have done a better job, but Napoleon clearly thought they were better employed in the posts he gave them; who else could have done their jobs as Minister for War (and commander Paris and 'rear areas') and chief of staff? His other option was to have promoted d'Erlon, Gerard or Vandamme, but they would probably have been just as big a gamble.

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Mark » May 3rd, 2017, 7:45 am

My copy arrived several days ago. Looking forward to reading it :)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Skarpskytten » May 5th, 2017, 8:02 am

It seems I will have the honor to review it for the magazine Militär historia (where I once reviwed "The French Perspective"; I completely missed the Ligny-book). Just wrote to the publisher asking for a copy.
Skarpskytten

Postby Mark » May 5th, 2017, 8:19 am

Skarpskytten wrote:It seems I will have the honor to review it for the magazine Militär historia (where I once reviwed "The French Perspective"; I completely missed the Ligny-book). Just wrote to the publisher asking for a copy.

Please do let us know when it is published.

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Skarpskytten » May 5th, 2017, 11:05 am

Mark wrote:Please do let us know when it is published.

It will be in Swedish, but if you are nice to me I might make a rough translation an post it here :P
Skarpskytten

Postby Mark » May 8th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Skarpskytten wrote:
Mark wrote:Please do let us know when it is published.

It will be in Swedish, but if you are nice to me I might make a rough translation an post it here :P

Pretty, pretty please :D

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Next

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials