Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

John MFranklin's books - advice

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest such as DVD/TV documentaries and film.

John MFranklin's books - advice

Postby MarkW » June 2nd, 2017, 12:09 am

Hello all, cannot find his Hanoverian and Netherlands books (are there two volumes of each?) and realize that they are in short supply..i gather they didnt even make it to kindle? (last gap as they should be hard copies)...help please and i really want them...Franklin's work is clearly not supported by his publishers properly imo
MarkW
Participating Member

Re: John MFranklin's books - advice

Postby Andrew » June 2nd, 2017, 7:12 am

Mark: I'm not gloating (!!), but have them both. Each has 'Volume One' on them, but I am pretty sure they currently stand alone; presumably leaving the option open for a second volume should more material become available. I suppose you are looking to own them, but if not, have you tried the library service? John is a member of this Forum, but not sure how often he visits; you could PM him.

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Digby » June 2nd, 2017, 7:48 am

John is very well named after the famous polar explorer. (Try searching for John Franklin on Google!)

I also have the first two volumes and want to get the second volumes.

I read somewhere that he did produce 500 copies of each of the second volumes but that Amazon bought them all.

I do have a jpg of the front cover of one of the two 2nd volumes. Whether they were actually published I tend to doubt.

John mentioned on this forum that he hopes to produce kindle versions of them and other correspondence, but I suppose he is busy on his Hougomont book. He did say that due to their nature they only commanded a small print run, and yet Gareth Glover's archive series is readily available everywhere

He sometimes seems to be as elusive as his 19th century namesake, as his 1815 website disappeared without trace along with all (hands) the letters for sale on it.

They are beautiful books.

They are available second hand on Amazon for very high (extortionist) prices.

But there are usually several copies of each available on Abe Books at varying prices. I was lucky to pay about 45 pounds each, for both of mine.
Digby

Postby Mark » June 5th, 2017, 8:26 am

As far as I am aware, John had only printed volume-one of each so far, both of which I also have and agree are excellent. I think John's focus shifted when he was asked to write some other books, but I do not know if he intends to go back and produce volume-two. If I speak to him I'll ask.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby MarkW » June 5th, 2017, 1:25 pm

thanks Mark...if anyone knows of kindle or used copies i can afford as well i wouldnt be upset with guidance ...and Andrew, you were gloating you have them :) wish i could gloat :)
MarkW
Participating Member

Postby CMcLeod2012 » June 22nd, 2017, 4:46 pm

I also have Vol. 1 of each.
Some time ago I asked on The Miniature Page if Vol. 2 had ever been published.
John replied that they had, but in a very limited edition.
He also mentioned that he was working on editions for some of the other Nations. But that was a few years ago.

Cliff
CMcLeod2012

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials