Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Maida 15 minutes of Glory on Special

Please feel free to post any reviews or recommendations for books and other reference materials of interest such as DVD/TV documentaries and film.

Maida 15 minutes of Glory on Special

Postby Digby » July 24th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Just a heads up, I got an email from Naval and Military Press that they have "Maida - 15 minutes of Glory" by Richard Hopton on special at GBP 2.99. It looks like they are clearing out their stock. I think its been out for a few years now.

This was one of the first Napoleonic battles I read about, and where a small British "army" beat the French. Column v line and all of that.

So I placed an order for it yesterday. Its also available from Book Depository with free postage, but not for such a good price.
Digby

Re: Maida 15 minutes of Glory on Special

Postby Senarmont198 » July 25th, 2017, 12:16 am

Except that it wasn't 'column v line' but 'line v line.'
Senarmont198

Postby Digby » July 25th, 2017, 4:33 am

Yes, the book reviews seem to mention that the author says the French did attack in lines.

I was just referring to what I had remembered from 30 years ago....

I look forward to reading it.
Digby

Postby Senarmont198 » July 25th, 2017, 10:26 am

It's a useful book. I've had it for some years now and have found it helpful.

The 'column v line' came from Oman, which he later corrected. It was British firepower, not the formation, that broke the French attack. Reynier, who was an excellent general officer by the way, apparently sat his horse smoking his pipe observing the attack fall apart. He's a very interesting personality of the period and was in Napoleon's doghouse for awhile for his blunt criticism of some of Napoleon's actions. He was also very critical of some of the marshals and his contemporaries, and he was also an accomplished and deadly duelist. He was also Swiss.
Senarmont198

Postby Owen » July 26th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up. Haven't bought the Maida book, but the large discounts are applied to a wide range of Napoleonic military history books. Have bought "WITH WELLINGTON IN THE PENINSULA The Adventures of a Highland Soldier 1808-1814" and "WELLINGTON’S HIGHLAND WARRIORS From the Black Watch Mutiny to the Battle of Waterloo", for the princely sum of £13.83 including postage. Both are hardbacks. Very pleased. Discount was 70% and 80% respectively. Certainly worth a browse.

Owen
"How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven" Spike Milligan
Owen
Participating Member

Return to Reference Books & Other Materials