Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Tents

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Napoleonic period.

Tents

Postby StoneDog » November 26th, 2016, 5:25 pm

I've tried to search on here and failed to find what I need, so I thought I'd start a thread and let everyone have their say.

I'm a re-enactor and decided to make my own tent, I mentioned this at one of our training camps and now I've been asked to make several tents.... And they say never volunteer for anything

So, I've got a basic Wedge thrashed out as thats what I see in most of the paintings and images, however sometimes other tents are visible..... Are these 'real' or artistic license ?

So, did NCO's get different tents ?
What about junior officers (assuming they weren't stuck with buying those as well) ?
I think some officers had an entire entourage and a complete village of canvas to house it, but what about the young Ensign ?

Any images would be handy

BTW:Tents are Ordinance property are they not? Any ideas on how they would of been marked as such?

Thanks in advance
StoneDog

Re: Tents

Postby DaveH » November 26th, 2016, 8:24 pm

Your tent basically became nicer as you became more senior, plus there were church and staff tents etc. It was a 'field' reflection of what happened in a town - the officers got the best houses in the middle, the men were down the equivalent of the council estate (that's publicly-provided, rented housing for non-UK members).

The Austrian 1767 Okonomie drawings show all the tents in use and there are plenty of them. I expect the NAM has something similar.
DaveH

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals