Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Major General uniform, Order of Bath variations

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Napoleonic period.

Major General uniform, Order of Bath variations

Postby Blundstones64 » April 30th, 2017, 10:43 am

Hey folks.
I'm attending a few Costume events this year with my good wife, and happily agreed to wear something appropriate, in this case, I'm attending as Stephen Frys interpretation of The Duke himself.
IMG_2603.JPG
IMG_2603.JPG (50.83 KiB) Viewed 170 times

In order to ensure some authenticity I've sourced a uniform as shown in the picture below, but I'd like some help in relation to the correct award, and hopefully a replica source. Am I right in saying that the Order of Bath, in this case (see pic below) was embroidered bullion?

Initially I'm looking for a good replica Order of Bath, as it fits better with the portrait, but I'd also like to collect (Bath, Garter set, Austrian, Army Gold Cross).
IMG_2670.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG (22.24 KiB) Viewed 170 times

Looking forward to some comments.
Grant
Blundstones64

Re: Major General uniform, Order of Bath variations

Postby DaveH » April 30th, 2017, 2:09 pm

For Austria you will need the Order of the Golden Fleece and the Grand Cross of the Maria Theresa order. :o

I was interested to see this on one site about the MTO:
The Knight’s Cross was awarded in 1800 to 8 British officers who had distinguished themselves at Villiers-en-Couche in 1794.
DaveH

Re: Major General uniform, Order of Bath variations

Postby charnock » April 30th, 2017, 3:07 pm

If anyone is interested in details of the awarding of foreign orders to British officers, the best authority I have seen is "A Concise Account of the Several Foreign Orders of Knighthood and Other Marks of Honourable Distinction" by Nicholas Carlisle, published by John Hearne in 1839, and with a modern facsimile reprint by Naval & Military Press in 1992. The book summarizes the origin and rules of the awards for dozens of different countries, including such esoteric examples as Franconia and Brazil

According to Carlisle, Wellington was the lone British recipient of the Grand Cross of the Order of Maria Theresa, but there were four commanders, and about 50 knights, including a number of naval officers, and quite a few of these awards were given in the aftermath of Waterloo. What amounts to a citation is given for at least some of the awards, and the book of course contains similar information about many the awards of many other countries as well, with lists of British recipients. All-in-all its a fascinating view of who was felt to be worth recognising (and why) by various countries.
charnock

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals