Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Life Guards

For all discussions relating to military uniforms, insignia, equipment and medals of the Napoleonic period.

Life Guards

Postby Michael Tyne » February 12th, 2018, 11:38 am

Hello,

Can anyone offer information as to where one might purchase button reproductions for a 1812'13 British Ist Life Guards coatee?

Image attached of my mock-up uniform and helmet plus originals.
Attachments
1st Life Guards 1814  Coatee and Helmet Reproduction.jpg
1st Life Guards 1814 Coatee and Helmet Reproduction.jpg (91.79 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Michael Tyne

Re: Life Guards

Postby unclearthur » February 19th, 2018, 9:20 pm

You could try emailing these guys. There's nothing on their website but apparently they keep dies and may be able to make up a special order.

http://www.militarymetalwork.co.uk/index.php
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby Michael Tyne » February 20th, 2018, 11:32 pm

Last post for Military Metalwork for 2017 mentions Andrew Clark is still unavailable due to medical reasons. Meanwhile I would still like to find a design image of a British Life Guards 1812/13 button in order to have some reproductions in various sizes made. Contacted National Army Museum Research but their reply was lukewarm. Seems to be a problem for them in accessing the actual uniform they have, possibly to much red tape? I would have thought having an digitised image for this particular early cavalry button would have been important for there records.
Michael Tyne

Postby jf42 » February 21st, 2018, 9:24 am

A shame that your reply from the National Army Museum was not as helpful as you hoped.

I wonder if you might have more luck with the Guards Museum in Birdcage Walk.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Michael Tyne » February 21st, 2018, 9:36 am

I may still get a reply, they referred me to their photographic department cautioning me that the exercise might be expensive and that they may be busy.
Michael Tyne

Postby Andrew » February 21st, 2018, 9:54 pm

Patrice Courcelle did a wide range of uniform plates of Waterloo units. If my memory serves me correctly, many, if not all, had an example of a button on them. He has his own website; maybe you could find something to help you there?

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Michael Tyne » February 22nd, 2018, 5:29 am

Andrew wrote:Patrice Courcelle did a wide range of uniform plates of Waterloo units. If my memory serves me correctly, many, if not all, had an example of a button on them. He has his own website; maybe you could find something to help you there?

Andrew

Thanks, will check.
Michael Tyne

Return to Uniforms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals