Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Is this 1777 musket correct??

For all discussions relating to military weapons and tactics of the Napoleonic period.

Is this 1777 musket correct??

Postby bert barrel » March 9th, 2017, 11:29 am

Hello everybody,

As a collector of British and Belgian 19th century firearms, I recently bought this 1777 musket because I'm also interested in the arms used by the enemy. The 1777 was used against the British and after 1830 also used by the Belgians, so the 1777 was a must for my collection.
The seller, an old collector who was now selling his collection, told me it was a AN IX and not an AN IX corrigé. He told me this musket was a revolutionary example and so older than a Napoleonic fusil 1777. The markings on the butt were of the revolutionary period he told me. I showed this musket to another collector and he told me, the markings on the butt are indeed of the revolutionary period, but the markings on the lock were Napoleonic.....
Result, I don't know what I have now....

Is it a revolutionary musket or is it a Napoleonic one?
Is it possible the wood is revolutionary and the lock Napoleonic or is it a mix of components from both periods??
And if it is a mix, is it possible it was done during its military life to keep the musket fireable or is it just a mix of parts, brought together by a handy collector to create a complete and salable musket??

Lenght of the musket about 151,50 cm - 59,5 INCH
Lenght barrel without the tail : about 113 cm - 44,5 INCH
Lenght barrel with its tail : about 119,5 cm - 46,9 INCH

I hope you will enjoy the pics and maybe you can help me to find out what we have here!!

Greetings from a rainy Belgium

Bert

fusil 1777 complete

the lock, Saint Etienne

detail of the lock

close up of the inside of the lock

[URL=http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/enfieldrifles1/media/f_zps2j6ujugf.jpg.html]Image

barrel, left no markings

barrel right no markings

barrel, tail, no markings

barrel, under, markings

barrel, under, markings

butt, right, unclear markings, round stamp and a number?

butt, left, serial number, rack number??

side plate with unclear marking

barrel ring front with a stamp

woodwork without the lock,

trigger guard
bert barrel

Re: Is this 1777 musket correct??

Postby Jerry » March 12th, 2017, 9:00 pm

The lock is definitely empire period, the S is for Stelen who was at St Etienne 1811 - 1820s, so the lock dates 1811-15.

The rest of the parts don't tie up well. You would expect to see a date and control marks on the barrel, and marks on the furniture that would also tie in to St Etienne of the period.

The butt marks are not clear. i dont know if they are revolutionary or not, I can't make them out well.

All in all probably a composite, possibly of the period or later.

Sorry not to be able to give a definitive answer

Jerry
Jerry

Re: Is this 1777 musket correct??

Postby bert barrel » March 21st, 2017, 6:58 pm

Thanks a lot Jerry for your information and reply!!!!

Bert Belgium
bert barrel

Return to Weapons & Tactics