Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

British Infantry drum calls

For all discussions relating to military weapons and tactics of the Napoleonic period.

British Infantry drum calls

Postby jf42 » March 10th, 2017, 9:04 pm

I am hoping to find examples of British infantry drum calls from the late C18th; specifically reveille and rouse.

If anyone could advise me where I might be able to listen to these, I'd be much obliged.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Re: British Infantry drum calls

Postby Iain » March 11th, 2017, 1:53 pm

Hi JF…

I may be able to help you but I don’t quite understand your question.
You mention “drum calls”! Are you sure that ‘drummers’ (in the context of someone who plays a drum) would sound reveille ?

I have been gathering a lot of info recently relative to bugles and of course bagpipes, but the info and sheet music I’m receiving never talks about a drum being used for anything other than band music or advancing troops.
Iain

Postby Josh&Historyland » March 11th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Because only light infantry used the bugle centre companies answered to the drum. And let us not forget that in the mid 18th century there were no light companies and as such the drummers would have had to make the calls.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Iain » March 12th, 2017, 5:45 am

Hi JF…
In that case, the best advice I can give is to contact the Assistant Regimental Secretary Heritage, at RHQ The Rifles, Winchester.
I’ll PM you his coordinates.

An extremely interesting person and very helpful. You can tell him I provided you with his contact details.

Kind Regards…, Iain.
Iain

Postby jf42 » March 12th, 2017, 11:59 am

Iain, thank you. I know that the RIfles have wrapped a number of illustrious former line regiments in their embrace- the Devon and Dorsets, the Glosters, The Royal Berkshire and the Wiltshires (who have I forgotten?), but as they are a Rifle Regiment, (with a heavy admixture of Light Infantry- five Childers regiments, I think) whose traditions date back to before 1800, I wonder how much information on Line drum calls they will have.
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Return to Weapons & Tactics