Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Austrian troops in 1800

For general discussions on the Armies of the Napoleonic period.

Austrian troops in 1800

Postby DaveH » July 3rd, 2016, 7:06 pm

Boris Wilnitzky Art Dealers is a real treasure trove of Napoleonic pictures (Austrian and French). This one by Francesco Novelli shows Austrian troops (and some French PoWs) in a tavern around the time of Marengo. http://www.wilnitsky.com/print/n/o/v/novelli1002w.pdf It shows the infantry in the old kaskett headgear and the jackets are cut-down old ones as the collars are still flat. Not sure about the hussar in red on the far left though.
DaveH

Re: Austrian troops in 1800

Postby DaveH » July 22nd, 2016, 1:33 pm

Many people will be familiar with the work of Georg Kininger, as he was the artist, who drew the famous 1798 Austrian plates published by Tranquillo Mollo, which showed the new Austrian uniforms. http://www.napoleon-online.de/html/moll ... h1798.html

Boris Wilniotzky has some more work by him https://www.wilnitsky.com/scripts/redga ... &a=0&ps=20 which includes illustrations of Russian Cossacks and French cavalry - some are hidden away as a subset under the rather dark drawing of two Austrian infantry and a Hussar enjoying some food. The drawing of "Austrian troops in camp" is actually soon after 1798 rather than 1809, but the similarity between the figure on the left and the single "Kurassier im Stallzug" in the Mollo plates should be obvious.
DaveH

Postby Andrew » July 22nd, 2016, 8:10 pm

I have to say that I have always admired Ottenfeld's works on the Austrian army; although not really my area of particular interest, I bought a couple of prints in Prague when that city opened up after the end of the Cold War. They still hang proudly in my study.

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby DaveH » July 23rd, 2016, 9:17 am

They are nice, but as Allmayer-Beck said, it is the "coffee table book" of the army. the colours are often wrong and the plates show regulation uniform, which can often include later pieces of kit - such as the '1806' shakos.
DaveH

Postby Andrew » July 24th, 2016, 3:32 pm

DaveH wrote:They are nice, but as Allmayer-Beck said, it is the "coffee table book" of the army. the colours are often wrong and the plates show regulation uniform, which can often include later pieces of kit - such as the '1806' shakos.

Dave, you are right, but that's true of most uniform plates, but these only cost me a fiver each (one of the 1798-1805 and one of the 1806 infantry uniforms). They look very good on the wall of my study!!

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby DaveH » July 24th, 2016, 4:25 pm

To borrow from Right Said Fred: I am too anoraky for my shirt. :lol:
DaveH

Return to The Armies