Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Coldstream Guards at "Chatham"? (c. 1804)

For general discussions on the Armies of the Napoleonic period.

Coldstream Guards at "Chatham"? (c. 1804)

Postby BingandNelsonFan » October 4th, 2016, 12:57 pm

Hi! I'm usually posting on the Victorian Wars Forum, but I find myself with a question from this earlier period. :)

I've found a reference to the Coldstream Guards being "now stationed at Chatham". This seems to date from about 1804 and lasts into, at least, the next year --- if not longer. Where is "Chatham", and can anyone point me to any other particulars about the Coldstream Guards time there? I'm trying to trace the friendship of the niece of the Earl of Chatham with Lt.-Col. Pringle of the Coldstream Guards. They married in May of 1806, and I've just stumbled on two articles about "amateur theatricals" in 1804 and 1805. All of the parts were performed by Guardsmen, and the Earl of Chatham and his niece were in the audience. So, I'm assuming that "Chatham" is in or near London?

Thanks a lot!
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Re: Coldstream Guards at "Chatham"? (c. 1804)

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 4th, 2016, 2:11 pm

Hi Bing.
Chatham is in Kent 34 miles from London, and is most usually associated with the dockyard there. However since the raid on the Medway during the Dutch wars of the 17th century it was home to many barracks and forts. What is the context of the Coldstream "now" being stationed there. Where had they been previously?

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby BingandNelsonFan » October 4th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Hi, Josh!

Since posting this, I've been doing some looking, and it seems that the 1st Battalion marched from Coxheath to Chatham barracks on the 1st and 2nd of November in 1804. Another detachment from the 2nd Battalion was send from Knightsbridge early the following year, with yet another detachment following about the same time. In fact, over the following year, it looks like there was a good deal of action at the Chatham barracks having to do with the Coldstream Guards. See here:
[url]https://books.google.com/books?id=JDMRAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA445&lpg=PA445&dq=coldstream+guards+chatham&source=bl&ots=0SZOHMkApW&sig=DlwLAA-TJK2-dT_4gn--0QspuhM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwju3pr0l8HPAhVGbB4KHe7rCCcQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=coldstream%20guards%20chatham&f=false
[/url]

Do you know if there is a way to find out which battalion a certain officer belonged to? I'm looking for William Henry Pringle (who is a Lt-Col at this time and would end a Lt-Gen).

Thanks!
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 4th, 2016, 3:58 pm

I'm certain there is a way to find out. But I'm not the man to ask. I'd advise you hang on and wait for some more knowledgable member to comment, or contact the Guards Museum, maybe the National Army Museum.
Can we clarify rank. As you know there was an army rank and a guards rank. Is Pringle's Colonelcy a Gaurds or army rank?

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby BingandNelsonFan » October 5th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Josh&Historyland wrote:I'm certain there is a way to find out. But I'm not the man to ask. I'd advise you hang on and wait for some more knowledgable member to comment, or contact the Guards Museum, maybe the National Army Museum.
Can we clarify rank. As you know there was an army rank and a guards rank. Is Pringle's Colonelcy a Gaurds or army rank?

Josh.

Hi, Josh!

Good question, and my fault for not being clear about that in the first place.

William Henry Pringle was promoted to the rank of Lt.-Col. in the 4th Foot in December 1799. The next listing that I find shows him with the rank of Captain in the Coldstream Guards in September 1802. By his marriage in May 1806, Pringle was listed as Lt-Col Pringle of the Coldstream Guards. In October 1809, Pringle appears with the promotion of Colonel (Army) and Insp. Field Officer of Militia in Canada.

Hope that helps. He seems to have had a promotion between September 1802 and May 1806, but I haven't found a listing for that yet.

Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Postby PaulD » October 5th, 2016, 4:54 pm

Hi Sarah

The following information is from Mackinnon's "Origin and Services of the Coldstream Guards" Vol II:

Pringle is noted as having exchanged from Lieutenant Colonel of the 4th Foot as a captain in the Coldstream Guards on 17 September 1802 and exchanged to Lieutenant Colonel in the 1st Foot on 1 December 1808 (pp. 506-7)

A return dated 23 October 1805 shows Lieutenant Colonel (rank in the army) W. H. Pringle as a captain in the 1st Battalion of the Coldstream Guards (p. 91)

Hope this helps

Paul
PaulD

Postby BingandNelsonFan » October 11th, 2016, 12:26 pm

PaulD wrote:Hi Sarah

The following information is from Mackinnon's "Origin and Services of the Coldstream Guards" Vol II:

Pringle is noted as having exchanged from Lieutenant Colonel of the 4th Foot as a captain in the Coldstream Guards on 17 September 1802 and exchanged to Lieutenant Colonel in the 1st Foot on 1 December 1808 (pp. 506-7)

A return dated 23 October 1805 shows Lieutenant Colonel (rank in the army) W. H. Pringle as a captain in the 1st Battalion of the Coldstream Guards (p. 91)

Hope this helps

Paul

Hello!

This is fabulous! I really appreciate this info a lot, and that's just what I was looking for. Wow! I think that this is solving a number of questions for me.

Regards,
Sarah
BingandNelsonFan

Return to The Armies