Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

How to Draw Battle Maps

Section for posting photographs and maps of the Napoleonic battlefield.

How to Draw Battle Maps

Postby Digby » February 22nd, 2017, 7:18 am

Hello, many years ago when I used to study the Napoleonic and Horse & Musket wars I used to collect copies of battle maps.

One of my dreams was to be able to re-draw them all to the same scale and format, so as to be able to find the typical battlefield size and armies etc. (To help me with my Napoleonic wargame rules)

As you may know I have re-started by study and am just concentrating on Waterloo due to limited time etc.

Since the 1990's many beautiful books have been published with amazing full colour maps along with some websites.

My question is, can anyone suggest how I might be able to re-draw these maps myself, using the original maps as a guide

What software do these map makers use, if any?

I am reasonably computer literate.
Digby

Re: How to Draw Battle Maps

Postby Skarpskytten » February 24th, 2017, 11:36 am

Digby, I think you should register here instead: https://www.cartographersguild.com/cont ... a00f4134fd.
The Cartographers’ Guild is a forum created by and for map makers and aficionados, a place where every aspect of cartography can be admired, examined, learned, and discussed. Our membership consists of professional designers and artists, hobbyists, and amateurs—all are welcome to join and participate in the quest for cartographic skill and knowledge.

Although we specialize in maps of fictional realms, as commonly used in both novels and games (both tabletop and role-playing), many Guild members are also proficient in historical and contemporary maps. Likewise, we specialize in computer-assisted cartography (such as with GIMP, Adobe apps, Campaign Cartographer, Dundjinni, etc.), although many members here also have interest in maps drafted by hand.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. You will have to register before you can post or view full size images in the forums.
Skarpskytten

Postby Andrew » February 26th, 2017, 5:25 pm

Digby wrote:My question is, can anyone suggest how I might be able to re-draw these maps myself, using the original maps as a guide

What software do these map makers use, if any?

I am reasonably computer literate.

Hi Digby,

I don't know if you have seen the maps in my books (Waterloo, the French Perspective, etc), but they were produced using Photoshop software. This is quite a common and relatively inexpensive software, but you do need to know how to use it; ie, I didn't do them myself!

I could explain in a bit more detail if you want to PM me.

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Digby » March 12th, 2017, 7:05 am

Thanks for that Andrew.

I do have both of your French Perspectives books, and I am counting down the days to April for Grouchy! "Grouchy, where is Grouchy!" (just kidding, my orders for other books have been long extended)

Yes I have seen your maps and they are quite good.
I have used photoshop a few years ago, but as you say, there is quite a bit to it.

I will pm you as you suggested.
Digby

Return to Photographs & Maps of the Napoleonic Battlefields