Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Waterloo

Section for posting photographs and maps of the Napoleonic battlefield.

Re: Waterloo

Postby MayFirst » December 19th, 2011, 12:08 am

It was probably a good thing that it was all Napoleon stuff. My wallet suffered enough of a beating --- had the store had been full of Wellingtonia, opening my credit card statement this month would have brought me to tears.

I took loads of photos, and I am in the process of uploading the best ones to the gallery. But as you know, they just cannot do justice to the place.

The visit only made me more excited for the 2015 anniversary. I want to book my hotel room right now!

Ashley
Hard pounding this, gentlemen, but we'll see who can pound the longest. -- Duke of Wellington
MayFirst

Re: Waterloo

Postby MarkW » January 4th, 2016, 3:25 am

Ian wrote:Some of my Waterloo photos taken two years ago.

Regarding the last photo: I have read and re-read Mercer's account of the battle from his/this viewpoint. As you can see in front of Mercer's position there is a small plateau which extends about a hundred yards from this viewpoint . The ground drops away reasonably sharply the other side of the plateau. Mercer observed the bearskins of the Grenadiers a Cheval as they reformed just below the brow of the plateau. Mercer's guns were placed on the north side of the small by-road that runs along this part of the postion. The road was and still is slightly higher than the field immediately to the north side of the road. This meant that the muzzels of Mercer's guns were almost level with the road as they swept the area of the plateau to the front. This small bank of no more than a foot and a half to two feet high offered some protection from the fire to the front.

Ian

Ian - north side of the road? what am i missing as all i am reading is that the artillery was all on the south side? being on the north side makes more sense from having a bit of protection...

cheers

Mark W
MarkW
Participating Member

Previous

Return to Photographs & Maps of the Napoleonic Battlefields