Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

ALBUERA

Section for posting photographs and maps of the Napoleonic battlefield.

ALBUERA

Postby RoyalWelsh » June 30th, 2011, 2:07 pm

Hi folks - anyone got any present-day pics of the battlefield? Does anyone know if the battlefield is still undeveloped, and especially if the slope that the Fusiliers charged up is still identifiable and open to visitors? I'm planning on a visit to my ancestor's battlefields, and plan to do Badajoz and Albuera in one shot. Appreciate any info and insights that can be provided on Albuera.
All the best
Wellington remarked on the 23rd Foot shortly before Waterloo.... "I never saw any regiment in such order; it was the most complete and handsome military body I ever looked at".
RoyalWelsh

Re: ALBUERA

Postby OXFORDMON » June 30th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Hi RoyalWelsh

These are roughly 4 years ago, absolutely no development on the Battlefield, still farmland as you can see, the memorial is in the village itself, the battlefield is not easy to find so take a good map to orientate yourself. Things may be different now with the recent aniversary, they may have erected signs? i don't know.

Also a few pics of Badajoz, again about 4 years old, a very difficult place to like to be honest (sorry Badajoz people!) you feel the place is still haunted by the events of that days storming, although now neat gardens around the bastions it was the scene of an awful slaughter and it is depressing.
Attachments
php3ADi9MAM.jpg
The village memorial
php3ADi9MAM.jpg (32.61 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
phpjEKZGfAM.jpg
Napiers 'Fatal hill'
phpjEKZGfAM.jpg (37.94 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
phpF1WyHBAM.jpg
The British ridge
phpF1WyHBAM.jpg (44.35 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
phpqJTQoGAM.jpg
Scene of the Fusiliers advance (towards the camera)
phpqJTQoGAM.jpg (39.64 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby OXFORDMON » June 30th, 2011, 5:48 pm

Badajoz :-
Attachments
phpPMgLXOAM.jpg
The Curtain Wall
phpPMgLXOAM.jpg (56.38 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
phpwXt25LAM.jpg
The Trinidad Bastion
phpwXt25LAM.jpg (54.07 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
phpV9vnFZAM.jpg
The San Vincente Bastion
phpV9vnFZAM.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
phpJAXBsVAM.jpg
The Castle
phpJAXBsVAM.jpg (43.74 KiB) Viewed 1750 times
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby RoyalWelsh » June 30th, 2011, 8:29 pm

Great pics and info - thanks so much! :D
Looks like you can still walk the battlefield? I have only seen old diagrammatic versions of the battlefield, and could never find a proper map with the troop movements shown on it....does such a thing exist?
Wellington remarked on the 23rd Foot shortly before Waterloo.... "I never saw any regiment in such order; it was the most complete and handsome military body I ever looked at".
RoyalWelsh

Postby Mark » June 30th, 2011, 9:10 pm

I think Sarah (FBC-Elvas, Portugal) has an interest in Alburera and might have some photos too.

Great pics posted above :)

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby OXFORDMON » June 30th, 2011, 9:31 pm

You can certainly walk the Battlefield with relative ease, there is a track that runs across the fighting area from East to West and i'm sure the local farmers are more than used to visitors exploring, although i'd keep off the cultivated fields obviously!
As for a map i'm not sure what to advise other than a good battlefield guide book like those discussed on a previous thread, other than that a trip with a decent tour group is highly recommended as it would save many hours of fruitless searching, although there is something about going by yourself, as they say you pays your money..... ;)

Wellingtons Peninsular war / Battles and Battlefields
Julian Paget, Pen and Sword

The Peninsular War / A Battlefield Guide
Andrew Rawson, Pen and Sword

The Battle of Albuera 'Glorious Field of Grief'
Michael Oliver & Richard Partridge, Pen and Sword

Andy.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby RoyalWelsh » July 1st, 2011, 12:30 pm

Many thanks again for all the great info Andy!
All the best
Hugh :D
RoyalWelsh

Postby RoyalWelsh » July 1st, 2011, 11:54 pm

sorry....thanks to Mark too!!!!
RoyalWelsh

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » July 3rd, 2011, 8:49 am

Hello RoyalWelsh,

There aren't any more signs up in Albuera but the battlefields are all accessible from farm tracks. There's a diorama of the battle in the little museum down the hill on the left past the church, on the road to Wellington Park. Ask at the town hall [ayuntamiento 00 34 924 480001] if the museum is closed. A few km south of Albuera on the road to Zafra is an informative plaque at the French position on the height, just beyond a factory. Access is awkward off a dirt road to a picnic area. The picture below shows the sign and the factory, with Albuera to the north.
Albuera battle map at French position on road to Zafra.jpg
Albuera battle map at French position on road to Zafra.jpg (264.64 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

Here is a picture of the PWRR monument in Wellington Park, down the road from the church. At the north end of town is a ceramic sign with Byron's mention of the Battle of Albuera in Childe Harold.
PWRR monument in Wellington Park, Albuera.jpg
PWRR monument in Wellington Park, Albuera.jpg (247.03 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

I hope you'll have time to visit the British Cemetery in Elvas, an hour from Albuera in Portugal. Take the road through Olivenza and see the newly restored walls of that elegant town that was besieged in April 1811, just before the Battle of Albuera. Elvas too is worth a visit. Its three encircling walls, in the style of Vauban, are complete. The British Cemetery was opened 200 years ago to receive the body of MajGen Daniel Hoghton. Protestants were not allowed to be buried in Iberian [Catholic] cemeteries. Here is a picture of the plaques on the Albuera Wall. For other photos see http://british-cemetery-elvas.org/ If you search Myers, you'll find three pages with information about LtCol Sir William Myers who led the Fusilier Brigade at the Battle of Albuera.
Albuera wall in British Cemetery, Elvas.JPG
Albuera wall in British Cemetery, Elvas.JPG (169.95 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

I can recommend Col. Nick Lipscombe's Peninsular War atlas, which contains one or more maps of each of the battles, even those where the British were not involved. His accompanying explanation of the action is concise and clear. Rather large to travel with but photocopies of the battlefields you intend to visit would be very useful. Do you know that more histories have been written about the Battle of Albuera than any other single PW conflict? I can recommend Guy Dempsey's Albuera 1811 and Ian Fletcher's Bloody Albuera.

I'll post information about Badajoz on a separate page. The town's improved in the past four years.

If you have more questions, let me know.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby RoyalWelsh » July 3rd, 2011, 6:53 pm

Tremendous information Sarah! Many thanks for all your trouble!
Best
Hugh
RoyalWelsh

Next

Return to Photographs & Maps of the Napoleonic Battlefields