Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Badajoz

Section for posting photographs and maps of the Napoleonic battlefield.

Badajoz

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » July 3rd, 2011, 9:40 am

This post is in response to RoyalWelsh's request for information about Albuera and Badajoz. Information about Albuera is on that string. Information signs have been posted in the last few years near the bastions [baluartes], in Spanish and Portuguese.

Next year will be the bicentennial of the third and final siege of Badajoz on 6 April 1812. That day will be commemorated and information will be available on http://peninsularwar200.org/2012.html You can already click on that date to see information and a film about Fortress Badajoz. The film is clear without any knowledge of Spanish.

I can recommend Col. Nick Lipscombe's Peninsular War Atlas for maps of the Sieges of Badajoz, on which you can see exactly where the three breaches were made and other locations, which are still accessible. At all three breach points you'll see 1812 written where cannonballs were placed [now gone]. Note the white stones. These were taken from the rubble of the convent that was behind the wall in 1812.
Trinidad Wall, Badajoz.jpg
Trinidad Wall, Badajoz.jpg (297.67 KiB) Viewed 1441 times

Another 1812 is on the east-facing Santa Maria Wall behind the trees. The red brick bull ring is in the background, with ample parking. There are steps near the road between the two bastions leading to the top of the walls.
Santa Maria Bastion, Badajoz.jpg
Santa Maria Bastion, Badajoz.jpg (290.18 KiB) Viewed 1441 times

If you walk northeast around the walls, you'll see San Roque across the bridge. Continue until you reach rough grass and a path up to the castle. You can see clearly from there where the walls were scaled. Then you can enter the castle through the walls and climb up to look down and realise what those brave lads accomplished.

Sarah
Last edited by FBC-Elvas, Portugal on December 22nd, 2011, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Re: Badajoz

Postby RoyalWelsh » July 3rd, 2011, 6:46 pm

Thanks a lot Sarah for all the great pics and info
All the best
Hugh
Wellington remarked on the 23rd Foot shortly before Waterloo.... "I never saw any regiment in such order; it was the most complete and handsome military body I ever looked at".
RoyalWelsh

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » July 5th, 2011, 11:26 am

My pleasure.

I forgot to mention two recommended histories. Ian Fletcher's In Hell before Daylight, the choice of a key member of the Baluarte Group to translate into Spanish.

And Carole Divall's Redcoats against Napoleon, in which she presents a well-researched history of the 30th Foot, which attacked the western wall during the final siege of Badajoz.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Connaught » August 26th, 2011, 9:29 pm

Looking at the photos and then thinking about IT gives one a whole new respect for the 52nd Foot.
Quis Separabit

Connaught

Return to Photographs & Maps of the Napoleonic Battlefields