Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

San Munoz

Section for posting photographs and maps of the Napoleonic battlefield.

San Munoz

Postby OXFORDMON » November 24th, 2011, 8:46 pm

The more obscure battlefield of San Munoz, on the River Huebra, a few miles East of Ciudad Rodrigo, scene of the last action of Wellingtons retreat from Burgos, fought on 18th Nov 1812. Here the Light Division, covering the rear of Wellingtons army, was attacked by French artillery firing from the hill in the first picture, and then assailed by a Swiss regiment, whose red uniforms confused them into thinking they were friendly. Capt Henry Dawson of the 52nd Light Infantry was shot and killed during this affair somewhere near this spot in the middle photo.

Andy.
Attachments
phpOg2QCjPM.jpg
phpOg2QCjPM.jpg (42.87 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
phpCLbtONPM.jpg
phpCLbtONPM.jpg (43.1 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
phpqPXuSsPM.jpg
phpqPXuSsPM.jpg (38.05 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Re: San Munoz

Postby hopbite » March 12th, 2013, 10:32 am

Dear Oxfordmon

Am I right to assume that the portrait you show is that of Henry Dawson? If so, where does it reside? I am writing an article about the Light Division at Fuentes de Onoro for Bugle & Sabre, the magazine of the Soldiers of Oxford Museum (SOFO) which the now the residual spiritual home of the 43rd and 52nd Regiments. This article draws on previously-unpublished material from Captain John Duffy and Lieutenant William Freer, both 1/43rd, and Henry Dawson and his younger brother, Charles, who was with the 2/52nd.
SOFO has a good painting of a 43rd piquet near Almeida (although the Belgic shakos depicted are wrong as it's too early for them but no portraits of the individuals mentioned above as far as I am aware.

Best wishes. Hopbite. (joinus@thepeninsulaplace).
hopbite

Postby OXFORDMON » March 12th, 2013, 12:20 pm

A warm welcome to the forum Hopbite.

The portrait on my avatar is actually William Leeke 52nd, who carried the colours at Waterloo.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=374&hilit=william+leeke

I am in contact with someone who has researched the lives of the Dawson brothers in great detail, i will contact him and ask if he has a portrait of the Officers you mention.

In the meantime if i can help in any other way, please do PM me :) the plans for the new SOFO museum look very exciting!

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » March 12th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby OXFORDMON » March 13th, 2013, 1:20 pm

At this time he has been unable to find a portrait of either of the Dawsons, i'm sure one must exist somewhere. I wondered if the Rifles museum in Winchester has any of the individuals mentioned ??

Andy
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby hopbite » March 17th, 2013, 3:35 pm

Thanks very much for the information. I have been through the archives f the Soldiers of Oxford Museum which do not have any images of the Dawson brothers. I assume that neither lived long enough to have reached the point where they might have had portraits or even a miniature painted. I will check with the Green Jackets Museum at Winchester, which I know well, but suspect I'll draw a blank.

The Dawson letters are at the Royal Armouries at Leeds (RAR 206 and 207) where the contact is Philip Abbott. They include some letters from the Dawson brothers' cousin, William Crosbie, who died of an overdose of opium. I know Philip has plans to publish them and think he could do this in conjunction with the Soldiers of Oxford Museum as there may be some funding available.

Best wishes. Nick Haynes.
hopbite

Return to Photographs & Maps of the Napoleonic Battlefields