Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Napoleonic French Shako Plate

Advertise items for sale or wanted here.

Re: Napoleonic French Shako Plate

Postby Josh&Historyland » March 15th, 2014, 12:25 am

Could the grenade signify anything?

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby scarecrow » March 15th, 2014, 10:01 am

I have done a little more research. The base of the crown on the eagles head has florets. This apparently links it to the 1st empire, the second empire crowns have eagles at their base.
scarecrow

Postby scarecrow » March 15th, 2014, 12:25 pm

More researching by me, and I'm happy to be shot down in flames, but...

Could it be a shako plate of the 16th tirallieurs of the young guard. The 14th - 19th were apparently raised in desperation by napoleon in 1814. This would explain why there is a grenade on the front together with a company designation. I.e in a regiment of grenadiers who all have the same Pom Pom, you need to distinguish between your companies. Finally, the only shako plates that I have found facing to the left so far are from the young guard.
scarecrow

Postby OXFORDMON » March 15th, 2014, 7:10 pm

Interesting item, and welcome to the forum scarecrow!

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby Maximrac » April 6th, 2014, 7:09 pm

I love items like this. The mystery behind it and the fun with research makes these things my favorites.
The style of eagle is definitely first empire with the florets. The grenade ofcourse signifies an elite unit.
I think I saw a plate like this before from the Douaniers Imperiales or Gendarmerie Imperiales. I am unable to find this source at this moment. Will keep looking for you.
Douaniers were especially irregular in their appearance with style of uniform varying between companies.
Hope you keep us updated when and if you find new info.

Max
l'histoire est une suite de mensonges sur lesquels on est d’accord
Maximrac

Postby terry1956 » April 9th, 2014, 11:10 am

Hi, its not a shako plate.i can't make out all the detail, but it looks like 16 ??? Comp. Can you post a few more pics, showing front and rear.michael
terry1956

Postby Ian » April 20th, 2014, 2:04 pm

I agree. Leave it as it is. Please don't polish it.
I will check my books.

I believe it is a non-regulation officer's shako plate of the 16th Regiment (16me) , Grenadier Company.
I have found similar examples in one of my books.
I'm very envious.

Ian
Ian
Participating Member

Postby Mark » April 20th, 2014, 8:10 pm

Whatever you do DON'T polish it! Collectors prefer such items with the patina and removing it would have a huge negative impact on its value. Also you want to preserve the item and polishing will actually remove some of the surface metal.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby scarecrow » July 1st, 2015, 10:46 pm

Hello again,

Sorry it's been so long since I last posted, I didn't realise people were still posting and thought the trail had gone cold. I'm still trying to find out more about which unit this plate originally belonged to.

I know it's been a while, but Ian, you mentioned that you thought it could be non-regulation and had a similar example in a book. I still haven't been able to find a similar example anywhere and would be grateful if you could post a picture for comparison.

Also Maximrac, you mentioned the Dounaniers/Gendarmarie Imperiales in your post, I haven't been able to find any pictures of the shako plates they wore that look like this one. I'd be grateful if you could point me in the right direction for a better source.

Incidentally- I didn't bother with the polish in the end ;)
scarecrow

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » July 3rd, 2015, 1:42 pm

scarecrow wrote:Hello again,
Sorry it's been so long since I last posted, I didn't realise people were still posting and thought the trail had gone cold. I'm still trying to find out more about which unit this plate originally belonged to.

Incidentally- I didn't bother with the polish in the end ;)

When you write a message, you can click on Notify me when a reply is posted in the list of options on the left below the Preview and Submit buttons. Then you'll receive an email to tell you when someone has responded. You have to do that only once per thread.

Glad you didn't polish the plate.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Napoleonic Militaria for Sale or Wanted