Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Wavre 2016

Section for re-enactors and those interested in the re-enacting of the Napoleonic period.

Wavre 2016

Postby Dominique T. » July 5th, 2016, 8:19 am

Just a small movie made last Sunday at the Wavre re-enactment.

My first video with an action camera, that explains the feathers of my hat... :lol: :oops:

http://napoleon-monuments.eu/Napoleon1er/Wavre2016.htm
Dominique T.

Re: Wavre 2016

Postby MarkW » July 5th, 2016, 4:25 pm

thanks Dom, i enjoyed it

Mark W
MarkW
Participating Member

Postby Andrew » July 5th, 2016, 6:47 pm

Seems the rain had come early! :D
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Dominique T. » July 8th, 2016, 8:18 am

I rarely saw such a muddy field, my boots got stuck twice.
This to remind us that those fields, that were marshes 200 years ago, can, still be very wet.
Dominique T.

Postby Andrew » July 8th, 2016, 7:17 pm

Hi Dominique, where exactly did the re-enactment take place?
Andrew

Postby StoneDog » July 8th, 2016, 7:22 pm

I suppose thats one way to keep the Cavalry at bay, they can't ride roughshod over a bog ;)

Interesting to watch, last time I was in the Line I was a bit too busy to have a look around
StoneDog

Postby Dominique T. » July 9th, 2016, 10:24 am

Andrew wrote:Hi Dominique, where exactly did the re-enactment take place?

Near the mill on the Dyle at Bierges.
The re-enactment takes place every first week-end of July.
http://www.wavre1815.com/
Dominique T.

Postby Andrew » July 9th, 2016, 9:02 pm

Thank you Dominique. I was down there last summer. As I am sure you are aware there are several French first hand accounts of the ground there.

I hope for the interest of others, General Hulot, who commanded a division in Gerard's IV Corps, wrote,

'The swamps that filled this area are cut in lines parallel to the river with very deep banks; too wide to be crossed. They were full of four, five or six feet of water. These ditches were found in the whole area between Limal as far as Wavre. The banks of the Dyle are wooded; as well as the Prussian infantry hidden in the mill itself, they lined the left bank of this river. The slopes of the heights which lead down there was manned with troops and the artillery fire, with that of the mill and the bank, plunged down into this open ground that it was necessary to cross in order to reach the mill’s bridge in order to seize it. Such was the lay of the land and the obstacles that I saw that a battalion of the III Corps had already tried to cross.

'I thought that by going a little to the left and passing these ditches a little higher up, I would find less water there. I thus went off in this direction about a musket’s range and launched my battalion, ordering it to run heads down and to take cover in the ditches if they could not be crossed. The first men that threw themselves in needed the help of their comrades to avoid drowning and to get out. These multiple obstacles stopped the soldiers and prevented them from advancing and I judged that this post could not be attacked in this manner.

'As I returned towards the heights to inform the corps commander, I encountered him descending with another battalion. He had seen the failure of my attempt and told me, when I approached him, that he was going to attack again himself and that it was necessary to second him by advancing again with my first battalion. The attack was re-newed. The corps commander and the officers of his headquarters took part in this last effort which achieved nothing and had only an unfortunate outcome; it was in this situation that the corps commander was shot in the chest.'

Andrew
Andrew

Postby Dominique T. » July 10th, 2016, 10:41 am

Thank you for that.
For those who would want to visit the battlefield : http://napoleon-monuments.eu/Napoleon1er/1815Wavrevisite.htm
Dominique T.

Return to Re-enacting