Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Napoleonic related Christmas?

Please read the forum rules before posting and check new announcements for the latest forum news!

Napoleonic related Christmas?

Postby Mark » December 2nd, 2015, 3:27 pm

With Christmas looming, I was wondering if any members were planning anything Napoleonic Wars related over the festive season?

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Re: Napoleonic related Christmas?

Postby OXFORDMON » December 2nd, 2015, 6:51 pm

Hoping Santa might drop a few Napoleonic related books down the chimney, particularly hoping for the new book of Christa Hook's paintings which if I can find a link to I'll post up (if any relations are reading this yes it's a hint! )

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby OXFORDMON » December 2nd, 2015, 6:55 pm

"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby unclearthur » December 2nd, 2015, 8:25 pm

Personally I'm hoping for a sort-of 'Peace of Amiens' Christmas. It might not last but at least things'll calm down for a while :)
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby Andrew » December 2nd, 2015, 10:19 pm

I stopped Santa dropping me books as he never got the right ones!! I now have to buy them myself and hand them over for wrapping! One I was hoping for was John Franklin's Hougoumont book, but publication has been slipped into January; more than a bit annoying given that its been advertised for months! Same thing happened last year with Nafziger's book on 1814 which didn't arrive until March!!
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby Mark » December 3rd, 2015, 1:07 pm

I also had Franklin's book on my Christmas wish list but will have to opt for something else. And that's the problem, what else do I pick? The lovely people at Pen and Sword, however, have recently sent me a number of Napoleonic related titles to read and review, so no shortage of reading over the festive season.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Josh&Historyland » December 3rd, 2015, 8:20 pm

OXFORDMON wrote:Hoping Santa might drop a few Napoleonic related books down the chimney, particularly hoping for the new book of Christa Hook's paintings which if I can find a link to I'll post up (if any relations are reading this yes it's a hint! )

Andy

I'd love that book. Though I wouldn't at all mind if the publishers send it to me rather than Santa, pre Christmas. My list is far too long.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby TheBibliophile » December 5th, 2015, 11:07 am

Ill be trawling ABE and ebay as usual...looking to add something from my hitlist to the collection.
Trying to put a set of Jean Boudriots "the seventy four gun ship" together at moment....
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » December 12th, 2015, 3:46 pm

I'll be near Barossa over the holidays and visit the British memorial there to see if the restored plaque is still in place. viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1387&p=14067&hilit=Barrosa#p14067

There is no plan to replace Gen. Graham's bust as yet.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » December 19th, 2015, 11:42 am

The plaque is still in place I'm pleased to say but is a good resin now and no longer bronze. There were abut 10 poppy crosses at the base this year, with inscriptions to the relevant regiments.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Return to Forum Rules & Announcements