Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Sir Christopher Wallace

Please read the forum rules before posting and check new announcements for the latest forum news!

Sir Christopher Wallace

Postby OXFORDMON » January 14th, 2016, 5:22 pm

Very sad to report the death of Sir Christopher Wallace , Chairman of the Royal Green Jackets (Rifles) Museum, on Jan 7th. He was a driving force of the museums hugely successful and impressive 'With the Rifles to Waterloo' exhibition last year and was Chairman for 16 years. I'm sure I speak for the whole forum in sending condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Re: Sir Christopher Wallace

Postby TheBibliophile » January 14th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Thats sad news Andy

Its been a while since I was there (2012 I think). I went to an evening lecture and ended up sitting between Kevin from Eggheads and Gareth Glover.

Went for a nice Thai afterward, though none of that is relevant.
As an aside, later, GG bought my copy of the NRS Volume "Commissioned Officers of the Royal Navy" off me on ebay.

I wonder if GG gets on here....

Bib
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Re: Sir Christopher Wallace

Postby geegeewaterloo » January 21st, 2016, 8:15 am

I am very sorry to read of the death of Sir Christopher Wallace, he was a real driving force at the museum and will be sorely missed.
I was in touch with him a year ago about a memoir from an American rifles officer which is published this autumn, he was really very kind and supportive of my work.

Hi Bib, I of course remember the talk and Thai meal, a good night I remember. The 'Commissioned Officers of the Royal Navy' gets regular use!

As you will notice, I am a member, but not as regular as I would like, sorry, too often caught up in my research/writing schedule
But I will try to do better!!

Gareth Glover
http://www.garethglovercollection.com
geegeewaterloo

Return to Forum Rules & Announcements