Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Members Main Interests

Please read the forum rules before posting and check new announcements for the latest forum news!

Re: Members Main Interests

Postby Maximrac » November 11th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Life of General Lasalle and Joachim Murat, 5th and 7th Hussards, grand armee organization and tactics, collecting sabres and flintlocks, Egyptian Campaign
l'histoire est une suite de mensonges sur lesquels on est d’accord
Maximrac

Postby jasonubych » November 11th, 2013, 7:38 pm

History of the Highland and Scottish regiments 1780-1815.
My main interest at the moment is the several Regiments raised in my local area the 72nd and 78th highlanders by lord Seaforth and Lord Mcleod's 73rd now(71st) Highlanders.
Alot of the early history of these regiments does'nt fall into the Napoleonic, serving in India from 1780 onward.
jason
jasonubych
Participating Member

Postby terry1956 » November 13th, 2013, 4:11 pm

For me its napoleons 1814 campaign, then the peninsula. Michael
terry1956

Postby post captain » March 17th, 2014, 12:07 pm

My main interest would be the Naval aspect of the time, be it the many sea battles, the ships, the personnel, Lord Nelson and his life.
The Waterloo campaign, KGL, the many foreign regiments in British service at the time, and Napoleon's 1814 campaign.
post captain
Participating Member

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » March 17th, 2014, 12:10 pm

I really enjoyed reading Cochrane: Britannia's Sea Wolf. Have you read it? viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1753&p=9794&hilit=navy#p9794

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby post captain » March 17th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Yes i have, a very fascinating read and an even more fascinating character, much admire his handling of the sloop HMS Speedy, a 14 gunner and the engagement with the Spanish ship El Gamo, a 32 gun frigate.
post captain
Participating Member

Postby jeffzcubfan » August 11th, 2014, 5:17 pm

My main interest is the accuracy of history accounts in relationship to the topography of the battlefied areas, specifically the Russian 1812 campaign.
Although we are very familiar with many battles and see the maps of the location of a battle, we don't have, in many cases, an accurate portrayal of the physical topography of the battlefield. This can lead to quite a few misconceptions, including placing blame on a general ("how could he not see the obvious") due to our now "birds eye" perspective.
The best example I've discovered so far is the battle of Gorodeczno where based on maps, the austrians/saxons marched around the left flank of the Russians to take them in the rear from the woods while the Russians just sat there blocking the ford to the road running north out of the village.
Current topography shows a ridge line that runs in a general north to south line where the road from the north branches out of sight of the ford. The allies would have been totally blocked from line of sight and crossed in the area that under normal conditions would have been too swampy to ford, but lack of rain made it possible to accomplish their manuever.

These are the items that make sense, but are not mentioned in the most accounts of the battle.
jeffzcubfan

Postby Shannon Selin » August 18th, 2014, 4:43 pm

Thanks, Mark. Great idea. My interests:

Napoleon, Wellington, Napoleon's family, Napoleonic Era rulers & diplomats who were still in power in the early 1820s, officers and soldiers of the Grande Armée who wound up in North America after 1815. Also details of Grand Armée logistics, weapons, equipment, uniforms, etc. - basically anything that assists me in imagining how an army organized by Napoleon in North America in the early 1820s might have looked and functioned.

Thanks,
Shannon
Shannon Selin
Author of Napoleon in America. http://shannonselin.com
Shannon Selin
Participating Member

Postby Jerry » November 3rd, 2015, 4:57 pm

Small arms of the period - flintlock muskets, pistols, cavalry swords.

Political and military history of France in the revolution and empire.

Well... and pretty much everything else around the period... ;)
Jerry

Postby ctrunfree » October 21st, 2016, 12:58 am

The Peninsular War generally, particularly the involvement of the 48th Regiment of Foot.
ctrunfree

PreviousNext

Return to Forum Rules & Announcements