Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

United Service Home Drysdale

For anything else of relevance to the Napoleonic Wars but not covered by the topics above.

Re: United Service Home Drysdale

Postby SusieZ » December 6th, 2012, 7:05 am

Mark wrote:
DavidB wrote:The only 2 Jeremiah Brown(e)s I see on the Waterloo roll are a Sgt, 1st Foot Guards and a Sgt, 40th Foot.
So what am I missing here? :?

Good point, David! I can only find those two as well :?

Mark

I'm presuming you're referring to "The Waterloo Roll Call" by Charles Dalton? Please correct me if I'm wrong! :) I've seen the entry in the 2nd edition "with biographical notes and anecdotes" and the details "Living at Melbourne, Australia, in 1891" etc. From the introduction to the Second Edition [1904] Dalton said that Part III was a special feature of the Second Edition - "the list of non-commissioned officers and men who served at Waterloo, and subsequently received commissions in the British army." He didn't detail the source of this list although he said that he had "received much additional information from the relatives of Waterloo officers." Was this the source for Jeremiah's details? Certainly the Geelong newspapers reported that he was "found out" and that was the start of his decline when he left the United Service Home and was charged with vagrancy 3 times in 1893 and imprisoned for each charge.
SusieZ

Postby Banker » December 6th, 2012, 7:47 am

Hello SusieZ, Can you advise which Geelong Addy dates these articles were in

Thanks Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker
Forum Moderator

Postby SusieZ » December 6th, 2012, 9:20 am

Hi Steve,

Gosh - this is going to sound really mean! I'm happy to give you the details and dates but I'm finishing off a journal article and the criteria is for "new" information and not things that have been "published" elsewhere - including the web. I am more than happy to post the details here but not before 1st March 2013. :(

As you can see from my web site [Google - Geelong and Bellarine Peninsula history] I'm not one for keeping research and information to myself - I definitely share heaps on my site.

I'm happy to provide the details privately but only on the promise that they don't appear here or elsewhere until my deadline.

Hope you understand ............ Susie Zada
SusieZ

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » December 6th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Welcome to the forum Susie.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby OXFORDMON » December 6th, 2012, 8:45 pm

A warm welcome to the forum Susie.

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby unclearthur » December 7th, 2012, 11:31 pm

What a story!

I seem to recall the 6th Dragoons (Inniskillings) suffered troop reductions around 1830-ish thanks to the prevailing peace in Europe. I don't have the regimental history so can't check to confirm dates, I'm afraid. Just a thought - that if his story is true he may have been discharged only to re-join an infantry regiment. Maybe he would lie about his age to claim a new recruit's bounty, for which re-enlisters were ineligible.

Cavalrymen could enlist for 10 years, rather than life, and re-enlist for 7, and these timings might make the above scenario possible. Shame it's all conjecture :)
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby jeremiah » February 6th, 2013, 11:54 am

Thank you very much unclearthur, that is very interesting. As it happens, Jeremiah was married in 1829. He was a poor Irish Catholic, so it seems reasonable that he would have wanted to improve his lot. In one of his poems he wrote:

'I left my own country, for I was a slave.
To seek foreign countries, my fortune to try.'

Was the bounty attractive enough for him to put his age back? I have always suspected that he did re-enlist in an infantry regiment, but his military record says nothing about any previous, or subsequent, military service. I know for a fact that he volunteered to go to New Zealand in 1849 as a Royal New Zealand Fencible, as he was hoping to advance his family's circumstances (promise of a house and land for ex-soldiers qualified by age, health and length of service). This service does not appear on his military record either. He sailed to New Zealand on the Oriental Queen, along with his wife Elizabeth and two children, Elizabeth (born 1838) and John Henry Brown (b.1840), both born in Donegal, Ireland (well, John Henry was...). If you look on the National Library of Australia website, TROVE, you will find a very large number of articles published in Australian newspapers about the Waterloo Cyclorama in Melbourne in 1889+, where Jeremiah performed as a Waterloo veteran. He was interviewed by many Victorian newspapers of the day and his story was published widely. The commander of the British forces in Victoria, Major General Tulloch, wrote to the UK authorities in 1892 requesting an increase in his pension as a Waterloo veteran and centenarian (Tulloch had also served in New Zealand). In a response, with the 'true facts', they only confirmed his years of service from 1829-1840 and on that basis he was identfied as a fraud. However, he maintained his story to the end of his life. His family must have believed him too, as his two grandaughters appeared at the Cyclorama with him. Thank you for yet another lead in this very interesting story. Christine (Jeremiah's gg granddaughter).
jeremiah

Postby parkybe » April 20th, 2017, 6:32 am

I believe my husband is descended from Jeremiah Brown and would appreciate contact from other descendants. I know certainly that my husband's great grandfather was John Henry Brown and the witnesses at his wedding were Eliza Bryan and someone else Bryan (name not legible but possibly Richard). I have supposed that this was his sister. John's wife Mary Dougherty was the daughter of Hugh Dougherty, another of the Fencibles. While I cannot prove the connection I am 90% sure this is our man.
Would love to hear from other connections.
parkybe

Previous

Return to Other Napoleonic Wars Chat