Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Nelson film sunk

For anything else of relevance to the Napoleonic Wars but not covered by the topics above.

Re: Nelson film sunk

Postby Mark » October 2nd, 2017, 7:55 am

As mentioned, Dunkirk did well in the US, and Ridley Scott is working on a Battle of Britain remake. So there is a tiny glimmer of hope...

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 3rd, 2017, 11:08 am

It cost a bundle to make M&S (no not the store!) and that was with two frigates, recreating fleets was probably too ambitious for a project with limited interest. WW1-2 still pulls attention enough to risk the big bucks, but in this period I think only Napoleon himself can pull audiences required to get the outlay. Plus chances are movie makers wouldn't treat it with the intelligence of M&S, Napoleonic battles in the movies are generally terrible, War & Peace's battles were just sad (Though now I mention it, I hear vanity fair is getting an outing by the same coordinator with Waterloo getting featured).
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby Begley » January 13th, 2018, 2:38 pm

I think you're right, Josh. We didn't see anyone do the subject right, yet. And I don't think we'll see it done at all in the foreseeable future as super heroes and sequels seem to be all the rage nowadays.
Begley

Postby unclearthur » January 13th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Most Napoleonic period pieces suffer from poor battle scenes because of the dangers inherent in mixing horses and humans, in what is often fairly frantic movement, with weapons and explosives. Game of Thrones showed what's possible nowadays for an infantry/cavalry melee in their 'Battle of the B*st*rds' episode, though I dread to think what it cost to stage. A new Waterloo film with that level of technical expertise could be fantastic (the Heavies might actually charge an infantry brigade!) but I don't think anyone would risk investing enough cash :(

Or maybe a Russian oligarch could be persuaded this time :)
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Other Napoleonic Wars Chat