Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

United Service Home Drysdale

For anything else of relevance to the Napoleonic Wars but not covered by the topics above.

United Service Home Drysdale

Postby Banker » June 4th, 2011, 2:47 am

On the 1st July 1891 the United Services Home was opened in Drysdale, Victoria, Australia and one of the original veterans was:

Jeremiah Brown who served at Waterloo and was born in 1792.

Now I would love to know more about this man and whether his medal is known to exist.

Regards Steve
Researcher of Australians at War and Collector of Victorian Campaign Medals
Banker
Forum Moderator

Re: United Service Home Drysdale

Postby Mark » June 4th, 2011, 2:17 pm

The man himself:
Jeremiah_Brown.jpg
Jeremiah_Brown.jpg (98.66 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby DavidB » June 4th, 2011, 5:50 pm

The only 2 Jeremiah Brown(e)s I see on the Waterloo roll are a Sgt, 1st Foot Guards and a Sgt, 40th Foot.
So what am I missing here? :?
DavidB
Forum Moderator

Postby Banker » June 5th, 2011, 1:47 am

Here he is and some of his fellow soldiers
Attachments
Brown.jpg
Brown.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
Banker
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » June 5th, 2011, 5:08 pm

DavidB wrote:The only 2 Jeremiah Brown(e)s I see on the Waterloo roll are a Sgt, 1st Foot Guards and a Sgt, 40th Foot.
So what am I missing here? :?

Good point, David! I can only find those two as well :?

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby jeremiah » June 19th, 2011, 4:48 am

Hi

Jeremiah Brown is my great great grandfather. I too, have been trying to confirm his Waterloo status. His army record states that he enlisted in the 91st Regiment in 1829 at Armagh, County Tyrone (aged 18 years). He served in Jamaica and then joined the 22nd Regiment from 1 May 1835 until 20 May 1840. Following his discharge, he volunteered to join the Royal New Zealand Fencibles and arrived in Auckland in 1849 with his wife and two children. The Fencibles were sent to NZ to protect the new settlement of Auckland from Maori attack, and as a volunteer pensioner, he was entitled to land and a house. However, Jeremiah soon runs into trouble for publicly criticising his senior officers and appears not to receive his land grant. He turns up in Melbourne in the late 1880s performing at the Melbourne Cyclorama Waterloo exhibition. Jeremiah is a skilled raconteur and performed for the crowds at the Cylorama with his stories of Waterloo. He never wavers from his story - he was at Waterloo with the 6th Irish Dragoons, but was looking after the horses and was not directly involved in the fighting. He is also one of the first veterans at the Drysdale United Services Home near Geelong, Victoria.

Some people did not believe him - he was a tall, healthy man for his age. When his military record was checked, it confirmed that he enlisted in 1829. He is publicly defamed as a fraud (by a politician) and ends up back on the streets; is charged with vagrancy and sent to Geelong Gaol, where he died on 7 March 1894, aged 102 (still maintaining that he was a Waterloo veteran and 102 years old). The funny thing is that one newspaper story at the time claims that he had his papers to prove it! (no mention of a medal though). Also noted on his army record is the notation "J. b 1017. Major Gen Tulloch for increase as a Waterloo soldier & centenarian. A44 with true facts 16/5/92". Major General Tulloch,the military district commandant in the state of Victoria, was the man behind setting up the Drysdale Home for veterans.

The Waterloo Roll Call also contains the following statement - "Born at Enniskillen 14 March 1792. Fought at Waterloo and in the Kaffir, Sepoy and Maori wars. Living at Melbourne in 1891" (Waterloo Roll Call p269). How reliable is the Waterloo Roll Call? I have assumed that the reference to the Maori Wars was in fact his Fencible service.

Most people believed Jeremiah's story (including Major General Tulloch and Brown's family). Over 700,000 visitors to the Cyclorama over the four years that it operated must have been convinced.The only explanations I have are - that he lied about his age in 1829, so had to maintain that lie throughout his life; he has other military records, he stole the identity of Brown at some stage; or he was simply a fraud with considerable acting ability and historical knowledge. I hope this fills in some of the gaps to this mystery, but as always, it begs many more questions.
Last edited by jeremiah on February 7th, 2013, 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
jeremiah

Postby Banker » June 20th, 2011, 9:59 am

Jeremiah, Fantastic information and do you know where he was buried when he died in the Geelong Goal?

Do you live in Australia?

Regards Steve
Banker
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » June 20th, 2011, 4:31 pm

That is some story, thank you for sharing! :)

Mark
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby jeremiah » July 17th, 2011, 1:22 am

Hi Steve, yes I am in Australia, at Goulburn NSW. I have Jeremiah's death certificate and have found the cemetery record for him in Geelong Cemetery. A friend went to the cemetery recently and confirmed that he is buried there, and although they have the plot number, cant be certain about the precise location. I am going there shortly for another try. All the other Drysdale veterans are buried in a special cemetery at or near the home. Its a bit sad that Jeremiah is not there too. If I could confirm his Waterloo status I would at least like to place a plaque at the cemetery at Drysdale. I have not received a response to my enquiry in Wales yet.

regards
Christine
jeremiah

Postby Banker » July 17th, 2011, 1:42 am

Christine, I know the Drysdale cemetery very well. For many years we held a service there (last year was the last) held on the closest Sunday to the 25th October 1854.

Check out some photos from our website:

http://www.geelongmrg.com/

The old United Services Home is now a private residence and is located in Crimea Street as you drive into Drysdale.

Heres his grave details for others interest:

http://www.gct.net.au/Mapping/Default.aspx

Regards Steve
Attachments
Column.JPG
Column.JPG (134.63 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
Banker
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Other Napoleonic Wars Chat