Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Napoleonic Fiction: A list

For anything else of relevance to the Napoleonic Wars but not covered by the topics above.

Re: Napoleonic Fiction: A list

Postby unclearthur » July 4th, 2016, 9:38 pm

Wow! Mentioned in the same sentence! :o
unclearthur
Veteran Member

Postby Josh&Historyland » July 4th, 2016, 10:59 pm

Off the top of the old noggin...

Allan Mallinson's Cavalry tales are superb. Though they officially start in 1814 and have so far gone into the 1820s they backtrack twice if I recall. Real soldiering, (total opposite of Sharpe) to be found here.

The principal Napoleonic books are A Close Run Thing, Rumours of War and An Act of Courage. All however are unsurpassed in evoking the period and showing the state of the post Waterloo Army.

There is no doubt in my mind, the Aubreyad well deserves the epithet of best historical fiction ever. O'Brian was peerless and I savour them as one might a cherished vintage, or the conversation of an old and esteemed friend.

I very much enjoyed Forester's Death to the French, and have the Gun to read.

What can I say about Heyer? Was she there in Spain? The Spanish Bride is a joy, utterly compulsive, as is An Infamous Army, it builds superbly to the final act which although now a dated version of the fight is without doubt a breath taker.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby DaveH » July 6th, 2016, 10:55 am

"The Gun" was made into the 1957 film "The Pride and the Passion" starring Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren.
DaveH

Postby Josh&Historyland » July 7th, 2016, 4:22 pm

Thought it was Cary Grant, Frank Sinatra and Loren.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby DaveH » July 7th, 2016, 6:33 pm

yes, you're right - I picked up a Google fragment with Loren as I remembered she was in it. ;)
DaveH

Postby TheBibliophile » July 29th, 2016, 8:17 pm

I'm currently reading one of Alexander Kents Richard Bolitho paperbacks, it was bought for me as a 2nd hand book, a jokey birthday pressie. Its quite good...
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby TheBibliophile » July 29th, 2016, 8:18 pm

unclearthur wrote:Wow! Mentioned in the same sentence! :o

Try not to let it go to your head old chap :D
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby Josh&Historyland » July 31st, 2016, 10:53 am

TheBibliophile wrote:I'm currently reading one of Alexander Kents Richard Bolitho paperbacks, it was bought for me as a 2nd hand book, a jokey birthday pressie. Its quite good...

They are actually, I especially like the American Revolution ones, not a subject many writers bother with.

Josh.
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby TheBibliophile » July 31st, 2016, 11:33 am

Josh&Historyland wrote:
TheBibliophile wrote:I'm currently reading one of Alexander Kents Richard Bolitho paperbacks, it was bought for me as a 2nd hand book, a jokey birthday pressie. Its quite good...

They are actually, I especially like the American Revolution ones, not a subject many writers bother with.

Josh.

Yup the one I'm reading at the moment is set during Revolution. Its been good bedtime reading.
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby Josh&Historyland » July 31st, 2016, 6:35 pm

It's light Nautical reading, action and adventure stuff. I know someone who prefers it to the Aubreyad for its relative simplicity, I smile tolerantly and say things like yes, yes it is.

Josh.
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Other Napoleonic Wars Chat