Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

The Anglo-Franco equivalent of Fraktur type

For anything else of relevance to the Napoleonic Wars but not covered by the topics above.

The Anglo-Franco equivalent of Fraktur type

Postby Digby » January 4th, 2017, 10:10 pm

I like to print some data base reports sorted by British, French and German.

I find it kind of cool to be able to use a Fraktur style of font for my German Reports.
It immediately identifies them.
There does not seem to be an equivalent font to immediately identify a report as being British or French,
Can you suggest one ?

(I use the Microsoft Old English Font) (I have downlaoded some other Fraktur fonts but they are even harder to read)
New Member
Posts: 98
Joined: August 21st, 2016, 5:01 am

Re: The Anglo-Franco equivalent of Fraktur type

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » January 6th, 2017, 9:43 am

Google Olde English font and you'll find one for English.
There seems to be an Old french font too but I'd ask a French speaker to confirm that.

Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
User avatar
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2301
Joined: June 18th, 2011, 2:47 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: The Anglo-Franco equivalent of Fraktur type

Postby Digby » January 14th, 2017, 3:49 am

Sorry, I did not explain myself very well.

Fraktur or the Microsoft Old English font appears to me to look immediately Prussian (German) if I use it as a heading in a document or report.

I was looking for an immediately recognizable font that could be used for French or British reports. So that you would see the report or document an no straight away that it was French or British. A way to identify them as British or French. There is the Garammond font, but it does not stand out as being French.

The confusion came about due to the fact that there is a Microsoft font called Old English which to me looks very like a Fraktur font.
Last edited by Digby on January 14th, 2017, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Member
Posts: 98
Joined: August 21st, 2016, 5:01 am

Re: The Anglo-Franco equivalent of Fraktur type

Postby Sankofa » January 14th, 2017, 4:31 pm

Fractur font is just one version of a style of writing call 'Black Letter' … it's correct name is not 'Old English', although english speakers have long been accustomed to calling it such.

Black letter style of writing was initially favoured in ALL countries north of the Alps, beginning in the 1500s as a way to use less space for writing when the cost of vellum (cow or sheep's skin) increased in value. The English were the last to adopt Black Letter styles.

The main holdout for Black Letter use was Germany which still used it in many published books into the 1930s.

So endeth the history lesson, but you are exactly correct in wanting to use it for your purposes. The problem is I really don't think you will be able to find a font which will be immediately recognized as 'English' or 'French' in character the same way 'Black Letter' is for German. If you go back far enough in British and French history you will find specific fonts associated with both counties, during those eras, however, if used they will be almost illegible for modern readers to understand or to decipher, thus defeating your intended purpose … and you will not find those fonts readily available in the average computer program. Perhaps the best would be to use separate and distinctive fonts for British and France to differentuate both.

New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: March 17th, 2016, 11:27 pm

Return to Other Napoleonic Wars Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest