Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

East India company (EIC)

For anything else of relevance to the Napoleonic Wars but not covered by the topics above.

East India company (EIC)

Postby Alfie P » March 4th, 2017, 5:03 pm

Hi,
Anyone know of any books that deal specifically with the EICs role during Napoleonic wars?
Alfie
Alfie P

Re: East India company (EIC)

Postby charnock » March 5th, 2017, 3:00 pm

I'm not aware of any book that solely discusses the HEIC during the Napoleonic Wars, but several deal with the Company's activities in some detail during this period:

Two classics by C. Northcote Parkinson are "War in the Eastern Seas 1793-1815" (1954) and "The Trade Winds: A Study of British Overseas Trade During the French Wars, 1793-1815" (1948)

Boydell Press is publishing a series of fairly academic titles under the general heading of "Worlds of the East India Company". Titles relevant to the Napoleonic Wars include: The East India Company's Maritime Service 1764-1834" by Jean Sutton (2010), and "Defending British India Against Napoleon" by Amita Das (2016), which deals with the Governor-Generalship of Lord Minto, and includes a great deal about the Company's political and naval activities in the period 1807-1813.

Arthur Wellesley's military campaigns in India have received a fair bit of attention: Jac Weller's "Wellington in India" would be a good starting point, even though the connection to the Company and the Napoleonic Wars is a secondary aspect.
charnock

Postby Mark » March 6th, 2017, 9:27 am

Although not specific to the Napoleonic Wars, you could also try reading The Honourable Company: A History of the English East India Company by John Keay.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Alfie P » March 6th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Hi Charnock,
Thank you for your reply and suggestions which I will check out. I appreciate your help.
Alfie P

Postby Alfie P » March 6th, 2017, 9:07 pm

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your reply. I have the book you speak of and have read it. A very good book from an excellent author. I appreciate your help. I will check out your site in more detail as I am interested in India during this period and see that it is prominent in your writing.
Alfie P

Postby Owen » March 7th, 2017, 12:18 am

I have not read it, but might be of interest to you (suspect it's not a light read):

'Defending British India against Napoleon - The Foreign Policy of Governor-General Lord Minto, 1807-13' https://boydellandbrewer.com/series/worlds-of-the-east-india-company/defending-british-india-against-napoleon-hb.html?___store=boydel_uk&___from_store=boydel_us

Owen
"How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven" Spike Milligan
Owen
Participating Member

Return to Other Napoleonic Wars Chat