Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Fleurus and Mont St Jean.

For all discussions relating to the French Revolutionary Wars of 1792 to 1797.

Re: Fleurus and Mont St Jean.

Postby Owen » February 4th, 2017, 4:06 pm

Thanks for comments. Yes, I did consider that the reference might simply mean a cross-roads, but certificates of service usually cite specific actions and in this one they refer to it as the "affaire de Quatre Bras".

I will keep my head down in the books...if there was an "affaire" there, then I'm confident that there will be a reference to it somewhere.

Edited to add that in 1794, the 6e Régiment de Chasseurs à cheval were with l'armée du Nord/l’armée de Sambre et Meuse and actively engaged, in Hautpoul's Brigade (together with 12e dragons and 2e hussards) in the Battle of Fleurus on 26 June. http://cavaliers.blindes.free.fr/rgtdissous/6chasseursh.html. They later fought at Mont-Saint-Jean, on 6 July 1794, as part of Soland's Brigade, with the 6e, 8e and 25e Chasseurs and the 12e dragons. All that said, I still can't work out how the 6e could have seen action at Quatre Bras on 14 June 1794.

Maybe the dates in the certificate have been cited in error? Still scratching my head and ploughing through French tombes for clues,

Sorry if this is not adding anything to the picture of Fleurus and Mont-Saint-Jean.

Owen
"How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven" Spike Milligan
Owen

Postby Benthien » February 5th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Owen wrote:Thanks for comments. Yes, I did consider that the reference might simply mean a cross-roads, but certificates of service usually cite specific actions and in this one they refer to it as the "affaire de Quatre Bras".

There is a place locally known as "Quatre-Bras" at Gilly on the Chaussée de Fleurus, halfway between Charleroi and Ligny.
50°25'22.02"N / 4°28'48.01"O
Benthien

Postby Owen » February 5th, 2017, 11:35 pm

Benthien wrote:
Owen wrote:Thanks for comments. Yes, I did consider that the reference might simply mean a cross-roads, but certificates of service usually cite specific actions and in this one they refer to it as the "affaire de Quatre Bras".

There is a place locally known as "Quatre-Bras" at Gilly on the Chaussée de Fleurus, halfway between Charleroi and Ligny.
50°25'22.02"N / 4°28'48.01"O

That's very interesting, thanks. So, looks as though that would be south of Fleurus, which is more likely. It's still north of the Sambre though, which confuses me a little. I understood that the crossing of the Sambre was after 14 June, the date this action was supposed to be at Quatre Bras. Does anyone know if French forces, particularly the Cavalry of Hautpoul's brigade could have been between Fleurus and Charleroi around this date?

Thanks again,

Owen
"How long was I in the army? Five foot eleven" Spike Milligan
Owen

Postby Josh&Historyland » February 27th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Found this while perusing Hussaye.

"As Lefebvre's chief of staff, Soult had carried by assault, July 9 1794, this same plateau of Mont St Jean, and had thrown back from the forest of Soignes the Imperialists into Brussels."
L'Houssaye p164 Book 3 Chapter 2.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby jf42 » March 7th, 2017, 12:20 am

I found this offering from the Recollections (1845) of Thomas Morris (Late Sergeant 73rd Regiment) for the 18th June, 1815.

Waterloo 1705.1795. 1815 Thos Morris.jpg
Waterloo 1705.1795. 1815 Thos Morris.jpg (103.32 KiB) Viewed 115 times
jf42
Senior Veteran Member

Previous

Return to War of the First Coalition 1792-1797