Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

HMS Gibraltar c1793

For all discussions relating to the French Revolutionary Wars of 1792 to 1797.

HMS Gibraltar c1793

Postby DWS » April 9th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Firstly, I hope this is the correct place for my enquiry. I am researching the life and times of Robert Fourness 1757-1806, Engineer and Inventor. I have a copy of one of his diaries dated 1793 and in an entry dated Friday 15th February 1793 he describes travelling in a coach from Sheffield to Doncaster in the company of "the Captain of the Gibraltar" though he does not mention his name. It would be good to try and find out who this person was.

Research has revealed that HMS Gibraltar was part of the Channel Fleet which spent most of the 1792/3 winter between the ports of Torbay, Plymouth and Portsmouth. Records of the 29th (Worcestershire) Regiment record that the regiment began to embark on ships of the Channel Fleet at the end of January 1793, including HMS Gibraltar. Other research has lead me to a website that records the Captains of the Gibraltar as follows:

Captain Samuel Granston Goodall – Captain - May 1790 to June 1790
Captain Thomas Mackenzie – Captain - May 1793 to August 1794

My question is; who was the Captain of the Gibraltar during the winter period of 1792/3 when the Channel Fleet was at either Torbay, Plymouth and Portsmouth?

Any comments or help would be appreciated.
DWS

Re: HMS Gibraltar c1793

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » April 10th, 2014, 10:25 am

A warm welcome to the forum. Terry posted what might be a useful link on viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2079 in The Navies section.

You could also ask on http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/research_info.htm

Let us know how you get on with your research. An interesting man, Robert Fourness.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Re: HMS Gibraltar c1793

Postby DWS » April 10th, 2014, 4:57 pm

Hello Sarah

Many thanks for the welcome. Robert Fourness is a very interesting man indeed, my research so far has turned up some interesting information about him however, a lot of it is repeated from just a handful of earlier sources. Having acquired a copy of one of his diaries from 1793 has opened up many new lines of enquiry, such as the meeting with the Captain of the Gibraltar for example.

Robert Fourness is my wife's g-g-g-g-grandfather so there is a family history angle to the research as well.

Thank you for the suggested links, I will follow them up. Hopefully some more information will yet come from the forum.

Dave
DWS

Return to War of the First Coalition 1792-1797