Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

South America 1807 - British soldier

For all discussions relating to the War between Britain and others (including France, Spain, Holland, Denmark etc.) of 1803-1814. Please see below for the Peninsular War.

Re: South America 1807 - British soldier

Postby LesW » January 14th, 2012, 11:53 pm

Hi ben and mike, Les W here.

As we are coming up to the 205th anniversary of the Montevideo Campaign I was thinking of doing a short day-by-day account of what happened, since it's still a little known event to many of our fellow students of the period.

If I have the time this should begin on 16 January (this year it's Monday, then it was Friday), with the British landing on the coast/bank (it's so difficult to know which word is best to use about the River Plate.) First problem is where, something we haven't managed to agree on here for at least the last 200 years!

Looking at ben's casualty/desertion figures for the 95th, the ones related to MVD fit in with key events

Casualties:

Killed

1 man killed on 16 January 1807 - disembarkation of British troops at 'Carretas rocks', according to Gen. Auchmuty's despatch.

2 killed 20 January 1807 - 3 columns of defenders leave the fortified town to confront the British at 'Cristo del Cardal', 95th involved in outflanking and inflicting heavy casualties on the local forces, which retire to the city.

3rd February 1807; 1 killed . Assault on the breach in the town wall. Heavy British casualties, including Capt. Dickenson 95th killed, seems a very small number considering the heavy British casualties, including 2 battalion C.O.s k-i-a or d.o.w.

Desertions:

1 deserted 26 April 1807. While the 95th was still in MVD. Do we have his name? Autumn, best time of the year, a pretty girl (?), who knows ....this place can still seem like paradise on earth around that season.

The other figures refer to the Second Buenos Aires/'Defensa' campaign

3rd July 1807; 13 killed 5th July; 3 missing 5th July; 3 die later in July (of wounds?). ;1 deserted 9 July 1807; 1 deserted 24 July 1807 (WO 12/9578)

Best

LesW
LesW

Postby ben hughes » January 15th, 2012, 10:43 am

Hi Les,

I don't have the name of the man who deserted on April 26, 1807 I'm afraid, but I suspect he was with Pack and Major Gardener in Colonia. Here are the names of those killed.

Corporal Michael Curran – pay lists states he was killed 3rd February 1807 – this during assault on MV (WO 12/9578)

One bugler = killed at landing at Carretas Bay 16th January 1807 (Cope, History rifle, p.13) this is Drummer John Pridenoze – listed as ‘killed’ 16th January 1807 (WO 12/9578) To add a bit more colour, here's what the officer of the day wrote in HMS Encounter's log on the same date: Encounter: ‘fresh Br and clear W. …at 4 weighed and made sail in Co. with the Unicorn, Daphne, Pheasant & Charwell & stood in shore to cover the landing of ye troops – at 7 the transports weighed and stood in shore at 11 came too…with the best bower in 2 fm’s and fired upon the Enemy along the beach – Emp’d landing ye troops’ (ADM 51/2005)

Private Wheter – ‘killed’ 20 January 1807 – in Captain Dickinson’s company (WO 12/9578)

Private Thomas Leonard – pay lists states he was killed 20th January 1807 – this during Lecoq’s sally? (WO 12/9578)

Private William John – pay lists states he was killed 3rd February 1807 – this during assault on MV (WO 12/9578)

Private Patrick Desmond – pay lists states he died 3rd July 1807 – this during skirmishes on outskirts of BA? (WO 12/9578)

Hope this is of interest,

Ben.
ben hughes

Postby mike » January 15th, 2012, 1:28 pm

LesW wrote:If I have the time this should begin on 16 January (this year it's Monday, then it was Friday), with the British landing on the coast/bank (it's so difficult to know which word is best to use about the River Plate.) First problem is where, something we haven't managed to agree on here for at least the last 200 years!

I am far away of being an expert like both you are. I only enjoy looking for some details about my ancestors´s lives, taking advantge of the amazing search engine that Google is.

In the book "Wars of the Americas ...", link attached, it is mentioned:

"16 January 1807. Montevideo. Around noon, Auchmuty disembarks his troops at Mulata or Verde Beach between Manzo Point and Gorda Point six miles east of the Uruguayan Capital"

http://books.google.com.ar/books?id=rdv ... eo&f=false

Excuse me if you already know this cite.

I add a new link : "A narrative of the operations of a small British force: under the command of Brigadier General Sir Samuel Auchmuty" by a field officer on the Staff

There is here a great detail about wounded and died soldiers at every stage of the assault.

http://books.google.com.ar/books?id=kdQ ... ld&f=false
Last edited by mike on January 20th, 2012, 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
mike

Postby mike » January 15th, 2012, 4:11 pm

In reference to the assualt of Montevideo, I found this reference about Sir Dudley Leger Hill:

"In the siege and capture by storm of Montevideo, it is documented that Dudley Hill volunteered to lead the forlorn hope, and he commanded the party that escaladed the walls and took possession of the north gate of the fortress. This is disputed, though, as the Freeman’s Journal and Daily Commercial Advertiser of 29th September 1843 reported that Colonel Everard of the 14th Regiment lead the forlorn hope, the achievement ascribed to Sir Dudley St Leger Hill. However, Montevideo was captured after a fierce fight on 3rd February 1807."

http://books.google.com.ar/books?id=6wf ... te&f=false

I believe He took part of Captain James Macdonald`s company , 2d of the 95th.

Captain Macdonald died at Penzance, 1808

"CORNWALL
Died At Penzance aged 29 Captain Macdonald of the 95th or Rifle Corps The primary cause of his dissolution was the bursting of a blood vessel at the storming of Monte Video."

http://books.google.com.ar/books?id=-t8 ... th&f=false

Like George Elder, Sir Dudey Hill was in charge of a battalion of cacadores on the peninsular war.
mike

Postby mike » January 16th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Excuse my enthusiasm.

I recently found the book "Recollection of Rifleman Harris (old 95th), that you probably know. Its mentioned there that Captain Elder was a witness on Whitelocke court martial.

" This was the first time of our seeing
that officer (Whitelocke). The next meeting was at Buenos
Ayres ; and during the confusion of that day one of us
received an order from the fiery Craufurd to shoot the
traitor dead if we could see him in the battle, many others
of the Rifles receiving the same order from that fine and
chivalrous officer. The unfortunate issue of the Buenos
Ayres affair is matter of history, and I have nothing to
say about it ; but I well remember the impression that it
made upon us all at the time, and that Sir John Moore was
present at Whitelocke's court-martial ; General Craufurd
and, I think, General Auchmuty, Captain Elder of the
Rifles, Captain Dickson, and one of our privates being
witnesses.
We were at Hythe at the time, and I recollect
our officers going off to appear against Whitelocke.

" So enraged was Craufurd against him, that I heard
say he strove hard to have him shot. Whitelocke's father,
I also heard, was at his son's trial, and cried like an infant
during the proceedings. Whitelocke's sword was broken
over his head, I was told ; and for months afterwards, when
our men took their glass, they used to give as a toast,
* Success to grey hairs, but bad luck to White locks'
Indeed, that toast was drunk in all the public-houses for
many a day."
mike

Postby mike » August 7th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Some details about Buenos Aires´s invasion

Page 465-472

http://books.google.com.ar/books?id=VLz ... 07&f=false
mike

Postby mike » August 7th, 2012, 6:01 pm

More details about officers wounded or killed.

http://jacques-de-liniers.wifeo.com/doc ... ydlm-1.pdf
mike

Postby mike » August 7th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Capt. Dickson, the third captain mentioned of 95th´s companies.

"Captain Alexander Dickson took part in the unfortunate Montevideo Expedition of 1806-07, and in 1809 he accompanied Brigadier General Edward Howorth to Portugal where he served as brigade-major of the artillery. Later, he took part in the Waterloo campaign. He was present at Quatre Bras and Waterloo on the artillery staff of Wellington's army, and subsequently commanded the British battering train at the sieges of the French fortresses left behind the advancing allies. By the time he died in 1840 he had achieved the rank of major general and received the Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath. "

http://www.fireandretire.110mb.com/html/rifle011.htm
mike

Postby ben hughes » May 1st, 2013, 4:15 pm

I have now been informed the book will come out in October. More details to follow.
ben hughes

Postby ben hughes » July 3rd, 2013, 2:27 pm

The book now has an Amazon page (although it doesn't have much on it yet...):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Invas-R ... 83&sr=1-25

There is more information here on Pen and Sword's website:

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-Brit ... 07/p/4161/
ben hughes

PreviousNext

Return to War between Britain and Others 1803–1814