Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Austerlitz documentary

For all discussions relating to the War between Britain and others (including France, Spain, Holland, Denmark etc.) of 1803-1814. Please see below for the Peninsular War.

Austerlitz documentary

Postby USM » November 8th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Not your average doc. with CGI and cheap effects.
The introduction showcases the Charleville musket with a few exaggerated claims but none are too far off. One being that the musket would blow up on a double charge. A properly proofed musket was proofed with just that, so it would've been able to take those pressures. The second, is that flint only had a life span of a dozen shots. Depends on the quality of the flint and the tension of the cock and hammer (also known today as a frizzen). The most pessimistic estimates start at 30 strikes of the flint and range up to 40-50. The flint can be re-knapped to extend the life by another 10 shots or so. And thirdly, 1/6 shots being misfires. This is not too hard to believe ever for a veteran musketeer trying to replicate these conditions today. A rookie would sometimes forget to shut the pan the whole way and during the cast-about motion, the powder would simply seep out from under the frizzen and out of the pan. When he would finally go to full cock and fire, he would not have a priming charge at all. The fouling under the frizzen makes the closing of the latter harder to do with the thick powder residue caking the bottom and preventing closure after 10 shots.
Fortitudine!
Put your trust in God, but keep your powder dry - Oliver Cromwell
USM

Re: Austerlitz documentary

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » November 8th, 2013, 8:02 pm

An excellent documentary, clarifying the steps Napoleon took to win the Battle of Austerlitz. If you know of other Discovery or History Channel documentaries of Napoleonic battles, please post them.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Josh&Historyland » November 8th, 2013, 8:12 pm

Looks good, barring the usual Discovery Channel quirks, one of the few Disc docs not about WW2.
Thanks.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby USM » November 9th, 2013, 12:05 am

I know no other Napoleonic episodes, but the episodes that are available are better in my opinion. You can find Blenheim, Bannockburn, Vimy Ridge and Agincourt. I knew next to nothing on Blenheim and always enjoy seeing something from the Jacobite war. I like seeing the early Brown Bess in action. I grew up watching cartoons like Rob Roy.

Cannot find an original version for the life of me.
Fortitudine!
Put your trust in God, but keep your powder dry - Oliver Cromwell
USM

Return to War between Britain and Others 1803–1814