Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

British at Curaçao

For all discussions relating to the War between Britain and others (including France, Spain, Holland, Denmark etc.) of 1803-1814. Please see below for the Peninsular War.

British at Curaçao

Postby rjwmorrell » February 7th, 2014, 3:23 pm

The Dutch island of Curaçao was twice invaded by Britain during this period, first an aborted attempt lasting about a month in 1804, and again 1807 (which was a medal action). In the latter action, Captain Brisbane was knighted, and granted the honour of supporters on his armorial bearings.

Happily, I will be travelling to Curaçao in March for a family vacation, very nearly 210 years to the month that my great-great-great-grandfather had been part of the ship's company aboard HMS Pique when the British first took it in February of 1804.

It is a rare opportunity for me to see first hand some of the forts mentioned in that action, several of which fell to the British, and many of which still exist in a state of preservation today. Fort Amsterdam in particular is a UNESCO world heritage site, and apparently boasts a cannon ball lodged in its wall fired by the British force in 1804.

While I am there, I will be happy to visit any of the islands museums, take pictures of the historical forts and harbour and make any in-person inquiries on behalf of anyone who has an interest in the island's (admittedly small) role in the Napoleonic Wars, so please reply or PM me if you have any requests.

I will be pleased to post some of my photos on my return, if this would interest the forum members.
---

Morrell
rjwmorrell

Re: British at Curaçao

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » February 7th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Yes please. Perhaps you could make a gallery of labelled pictures of the artefacts you find particularly interesting.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby rjwmorrell » February 9th, 2014, 4:15 pm

I'd be very happy to!
---

Morrell
rjwmorrell

Postby rjwmorrell » April 19th, 2014, 6:21 pm

I have uploaded the photos of the forts of interest from the 1804 British occupation taken during my recent trip to Curacao.

The forts are Fort Republiek (later Fort Nassau), Fort Waakzaamheid, and Fort Piscadera (now a Hilton hotel).

http://s89.photobucket.com/user/rjwmorrell/embed/slideshow/Curacao%20Forts
---

Morrell
rjwmorrell

Postby Waggoner » April 19th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Great photos! Thank you for sharing.

All the best,

Gary
Waggoner

Return to War between Britain and Others 1803–1814