Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

2nd Battle (or Bombardment) of Copenhagen 16 Aug-5 Sep 1807

For all discussions relating to the War between Britain and others (including France, Spain, Holland, Denmark etc.) of 1803-1814. Please see below for the Peninsular War.

2nd Battle (or Bombardment) of Copenhagen 16 Aug-5 Sep 1807

Postby researchingreg » January 25th, 2015, 10:08 pm

One of our family members who was serving as a 17 year old Midshipman on HMS Prince of Wales commanded by Admiral James Gambier, saw service on shore throughout the operations connected with the attack on Copenhagen.

What would he (as Naval personnel) be doing on shore? And would he have been under the command of General Lord William Cathcart or Admiral James Gambier?
researchingreg

Re: 2nd Battle (or Bombardment) of Copenhagen 16 Aug-5 Sep 1

Postby OXFORDMON » January 25th, 2015, 11:51 pm

Have you read this book?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1193&p=5699&hilit=Copenhagen#p5699

I would think that Naval personnel on land would still be under the command of the Admiral, as for what his duties were, it would most likely be to do with the guns used for the bombardment if they were using any naval pieces (I will have to check that).

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby researchingreg » January 26th, 2015, 11:08 am

Oxfordman

Thanks for the reply. The Naval bombardment was from 2nd - 5th Sep 1807 so he could have been involved in that (perhaps signalling) or using land based Naval Cannon, but their must be a reason for rest of the time ashore.

I don't now how the British Army under Lord Cathcart got to Copenhagen. If it was by ship, perhaps naval personnel would be required ashore to organise dis-embarkment and re-embarkment before and after the battle? Would this be normal practice?
researchingreg

Postby Josh&Historyland » January 26th, 2015, 1:42 pm

They came by sea, that sounds logical. But in a siege situation near the coast, navy personell might well have assisted with the bombardment. Not familiar with the action so I'm not sure if this happened.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby OXFORDMON » January 29th, 2015, 7:30 pm

The 'naval brigade' that Castlereagh ordered ashore to cooperate with the army numbered 2,800 marines and sailers. I think it's likely that they would be involved in gunnery and embarkation etc etc

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Return to War between Britain and Others 1803–1814