Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Quality of the French in 1805

For all discussions relating to the campaigns of Ulm, Trafalgar, Austerlitz and the Invasion of Naples of 1805.

Quality of the French in 1805

Postby PreußensGlanz » July 8th, 2017, 3:53 am

Good day gentlemen
I'm trying to make myself a picture of the quality of the French forces before the campaign of 1805 compared to its enemies. It seems to me that the 2 years of training in the camps on channel coast raised the quality of the French clearly above that of the Austrians, especially with Macks changes before the campaign, but did the French also separate themselves clearly from the quality of the Russian forces that took part in the 1805 campaign?

Some question came up regarding French forces outside of the channel camps, I hope to find some answers here:
1. Did the 1st corps on garrison in Hanover get any training equally to that at the channel camps? Did it train at all?
2. Did the 2nd Corps train for the invasion of England like the corps in the the channel camps did?
3. Did the 7th Corps train for the invasion of England like the corps in the the channel camps did?
4. Where was the Reserve Cavalry stationed from 1803-1805? It doesn't look like it was in a camp on the channel coast, so did it train at all for the invasion?
5. Where was the the Guard stationed from 1803-1805? It doesn't look like it was in a camp on the channel coast, so did it train at all for the invasion?

Thanks ahead for any contributions.
PreußensGlanz

Return to War of the Third Coalition 1805