Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

A specific siege/battle.

For all discussions relating to the campaigns of Ulm, Trafalgar, Austerlitz and the Invasion of Naples of 1805.

A specific siege/battle.

Postby Synorbs » March 6th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Hi,
i hate to make my primary post one asking for the help of others. Rest assured however i will be using my relatively extensive knowledge to help out those also in need. If indeed there are any. I hope with my second degree in two specific historical periods (which on its own means nothing mainly due to current teaching standards even at a higher level) i picked up due to being what one might call a perennial student but also and mainly due to my natural thirst for all history, mainly military history however, that i shall be able to be a more than sufficient contributor down the line.
Anyway! To the meat of the issue. There is a specific battle/siege, as shown by the subject title, that i am annoyingly remiss in being able to remember. The main things i remember was that it involved the Swedish forces and, from what i can remember, had Bernadette as one of the commanders present (this is not certain however). He was not alone in command, if he was there at all. The fact i can however without a doubt remember he was still fighting for the French at this time means i can rule out latter periods.
I am almost sure it was a siege as the main details i can remember was Bernadette's annoyance at the fact that a commander, either his equal commanding forces on another part of the siege, wasted, by the standards of the time, many men in what i think i can remember Bernadette calling foolish and wasteful attacks on a side of the surrounding forces. This could be attributed to a few sieges however. One of the main distinctions is that gunboats, or at least boats with cannon on board, perhaps armoured troop transports, where either paroling or simply caught in the fight and made a direct crossing impossible and also inflicted losses on the french.
I know this is the kind of thing that is rather annoying to be asked in such a vague manner but for some reason i find my memory failing when it comes to some periods of the Napoleonic wars. Almost without a doubt due to the information crammed in regarding other significantly epic periods of warfare involving European or English/British forces (i refuse to agree we are part of Europe lol).
There is one other thing i can remember that is probably going to be the most distinguishable feature. The French forces where commanded by the commander Bernadette was annoyed with to try and board the inland island that was under siege by themselves using troop transports or gunboats. That or maybe simply to harass them. This resulted in what i definitely remember as the boats moving around the place under siege and being pounded by the defensive guns of the by now well dug in defenders leading to more losses and another debacle. That and the actual troops on the opposing bank. I distinctly remember sandbanks being mentioned and the inept and dogged manner the commander threw his forces at the island under siege again and again. Also the fact boats of a relatively large size where used suggest it was close to the sea.
Well, again i apologise for primarily calling for help however you could look at it as a challenge! I have myself of course tried many times to ascertain which of the sieges from what was probably the Pomeranian wars, as the Swedes were almost without a doubt involved, this information floating annoyingly in my brain refers to. There are a few candidates but none completely fit the bill and more importantly i can find no evidence supporting the information i refer to. I by no means want to blow my own trumpet, for as they say any great general does not need to! Not that i am a great general... However i am either being as blind as a bat and/or it is so close i cannot see it. That or it truly was such a minor confrontation that it isn't mentioned beyond my initial findings a long time ago because with all i have studied of this period it's amazing i cannot figure it out.
So, if you can accept the challenge i would be greatly appreciative. I have already looked through all of the Pomeranian campaign and although i cannot rule many of the engagements out i need the reference of, most likely, Bernadette slandering his fellow commander for being so wasteful to put it to bed. The challenge is on! A thousand gold pieces to the one who can provide a concrete answer!
Synorbs

Re: A specific siege/battle.

Postby OXFORDMON » March 6th, 2014, 5:03 pm

A warm welcome to the forum Synorbs!

I hope you receive an answer to your puzzle :)

Andy
"Thus the war terminated, and with it all remembrance of the veteran's services" Gen W F P Napier.
OXFORDMON
Forum Moderator

Postby jasonubych » March 6th, 2014, 10:28 pm

The "Battle for Lubeck" certainly looks a good bet.
Bernadotte, Swedish prisoners, boats, https://archive.org/stream/napoleonscon ... 8/mode/2up
Cant find that quote thought,
Jason
jasonubych
Participating Member

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » March 7th, 2014, 7:57 am

Welcome to the forum.

I know little about the likely sector so just for the fun of it I googled Bernadotte commander gunboat and at the top of the list was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_ ... 3Auerstedt.

Boa sorte.

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Synorbs » March 7th, 2014, 11:53 am

OXFORDMON wrote:A warm welcome to the forum Synorbs!

I hope you receive an answer to your puzzle :)

Andy

Thanks indeed.
Synorbs

Postby Synorbs » March 7th, 2014, 12:03 pm

jasonubych wrote:The "Battle for Lubeck" certainly looks a good bet.
Bernadotte, Swedish prisoners, boats, https://archive.org/stream/napoleonscon ... 8/mode/2up
Cant find that quote thought,
Jason

This was my first idea as well. Specifically as there is actual and definite mention of Swedish forces, sufficiently large boats, a siege on three sides and so on. It's also close enough to the sea. Then there is a certain diagram that depicts that layout of the siege almost as i imagined it from the description i can, as you all can tell, very vaguely remember. However having raked through all i could find about it i am yet to see any quotes about Bernadette or any other commander being annoyed at large scale attacks by someone else. That said there is a relatively large body count in comparison to all the other battles fought in Pomerania at the time. Some 1,400 if i remember correctly. Add to that the fact that Bernadette took the town with a relatively bloodless attack via the front then you could imagine him being annoyed at someone else trying to cross sandy banks to his left. So yes, so far this is what i am leaning on but it doesn't feel right. Also if searched with other specifics i remember from the account i would have expected to find a greater amount of material or a direct quote.

FBC-Elvas, Portugal wrote:Welcome to the forum.

I know little about the likely sector so just for the fun of it I googled Bernadotte commander gunboat and at the top of the list was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_ ... 3Auerstedt.

Boa sorte.

Sarah

Thanks also for the welcome. I too have done the usual Google searches however i did not want to list them as i could simply have missed something. You should see how many different variations there are off various searches in my history. That said as i mention above most of my further research has been down the Lübeck and following line of battles/sieges so i could have simply had my eye taken off the ball. Also there were generally Swedish forces in a lot of battles that were fought against the French however they are generally not listed in many accounts as they were so small in relation to the main battle forces. More-over i cannot say i am overly familiar with Jena–Auerstedt. Thanks for your help i am now off to look more into this in the hope you're right.
Synorbs

Return to War of the Third Coalition 1805