Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Schulmeister.

For all discussions relating to the campaigns of Ulm, Trafalgar, Austerlitz and the Invasion of Naples of 1805.

Schulmeister.

Postby 1812 » April 10th, 2016, 5:14 pm

I am having fun collecting and collating information on information gathering and collating in 1805. Schulmeister keeps drifting into the story. My French is not up to following the intricacies of his story. Is there a member who has information or a view of his activities? Is there a work in English which would be helpful?

Mike

Re: Schulmeister.

Postby TheBibliophile » April 10th, 2016, 8:52 pm

An odd looking fellow... :D
TheBibliophile
Veteran Member

Postby DaveH » April 11th, 2016, 12:27 am

There is a good recent French biography of him http://www.nouveau-monde.net/livre/?GCO ... rson_id=19 but the best English summary is in Terry Crowdy's THe Enemy Within http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3138 ... emy_Within There is an interesting line of enquiry involving him and Savary, which points to Napoleon not beibng so prescient about Austerlitz as he often claimed!
DaveH

Postby 1812 » April 11th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Bibliophile,

He was probably engaged in smuggling good Yorkshire cloth from Good Yorkshire ships. While the English were concerned with the smuggling of brandy and tobacco across the Channel the French were concerned with the smuggling of English cloth and other goods over the Rhine.

Actually I am not sure what Schulmeister smuggled apart from information but he did get caught doing it.

Mike

Postby Andrew » April 11th, 2016, 7:04 pm

1812 wrote:I am having fun collecting and collating information on information gathering and collating in 1805. Schulmeister keeps drifting into the story. My French is not up to following the intricacies of his story. Is there a member who has information or a view of his activities? Is there a work in English which would be helpful?

Mike

Mike, I am sure you must have Googled him; on his Wikipedia page it has some English language books in the bibliography, but none specifically on him alone.

Andrew
Andrew
Honorary Academic Advisor

Postby DaveH » April 12th, 2016, 9:40 am

His smuggling was mostly across the Rhine, which is why Savary picked him up initially. The French even made a TV series about him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJNcIb1p5vo - perhaps we could ask BBC4 to dub it?
DaveH

Postby 1812 » April 12th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Thanks for hints and leads.

Following up the references I found a book which lead me to an article which is much what I was looking for. Alain Montarras wrote an article about Schulmeistre in 2002 and has more recently published a book about Napoleon's Intelligence service. In French, and somewhat difficult French, but I have the jist. I will now risk damaging my eyesight and brain my making a more accurate translation.

Alain Montarras was with the DST, Direction de la Survellance du Territoire (counter espionage) so should have some knowledge and insight.

I can see it would make a good TV series. I am sure I have read spy thrillers with very similar themes.

Mike

Postby DaveH » April 12th, 2016, 3:41 pm

Unfortunately, Montarras died before his book was complete and so, I did not have the opportunity to tell him what I know. Douay is quite a chunky book on Schulmeister (430pp p/back), although the authors have copied some myths.

There is an interesting discussion about Schulmeister within a longer thread on the Napoleon Series, http://www.napoleon-series.org/cgi-bin/ ... ;id=173910 where Schulmeister's part is disputed and the point is made that it is not just what x or yu did, but the effect it had.
DaveH

Postby 1812 » April 18th, 2016, 3:11 pm

A fascinating man and a complicated story. Like all such men and stories there is plenty of speculation. As far as his involvement in the campaign of 1805 is concerned there seem to be five facts.

Schulmeister was an Austrian agent.
He was recruited as a French agent by Savary. Probably in Strasbourg in September.
He sent Savary a letter on 21 October, immediately after Ulm.
He sent a letter to Savary on 23 October reporting that the Russian army under Kutusov was withdrawing.
He sent a report to Savary on 1 November giving precise information on the Russian Army.

He returned to France in January 1806 and later had a career as a French intelligence officer.

I am still reading (slowly).

Mike

Postby DaveH » April 23rd, 2016, 11:06 am

Schulmeister was never an Austrian agent, despite claims he made in the Bruchstuke https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1DA ... ke&f=false (1817).

I am wondering about that comment on the NS about Wurttemburg merchants providing a lot of info - this may be one of the claims made by Mack, who also wrote extensively in his own defence about Ulm.
DaveH

Return to War of the Third Coalition 1805