Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Napoleons Polish Campaign

For all discussions relating to the campaigns involving Prussia, Poland, Russia and Sweden of 1806-1807.

Re: Napoleons Polish Campaign

Postby Laker45 » August 29th, 2012, 1:48 am

Hi everyone, I finished reading Petre's book on Napoleon's Polish Campaign and I would give it a 5/10. He describes lots of troop movements without a map so it is hard to follow. Chandler, although less dense, is better because he includes maps. In addition A Military History and Atlas of the Napoleonic Wars by John Elting and Vincent Esposito also have a good chapter on the Polish Campaign. At the end of the book they have several sources for the campaign and commentary on their reliability and usefulness. Not all of these sources are in English however.
Laker45

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » August 29th, 2012, 6:53 am

Thanks for this assessment of Petrie's 1901 book. There were maps in the original but not in this Kindle edition due to their size: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Napoleons-Campa ... -1-catcorr

Has anyone seen this book, with maps, in a reference library?

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Morganod73 » August 29th, 2012, 8:25 am

Hi ,

I have a copy of Petrie's book which is a re-print which includes the maps described. I would have to say that the maps are not of great quality and the description of troop movements etc are very detailed which require fine detail in maps which are just not present.

Each battle in my estimation should have about two maps attached in order to clarify the troop dispositions and movements. I do enjoy Petrie's book and would give it a 7/10 although the maps are a big let down and reading the detail can be frustrating flicking back and forth in order to picture their disposition on the field. The copy I have is from Leonaur and is a reprint from the noughties.

Best wishes,

David
Morganod73

Previous

Return to War of the Fourth Coalition 1806–1807