Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Thunder on the Danube

For all discussions relating to campaigns fought by the coalition of Austria and Britain against France and Bavaria of 1809.

Thunder on the Danube

Postby jeffzcubfan » February 28th, 2013, 8:01 pm

I was wondering if anyone else has had the chance to read John H. Gill's "Thunder on the Danube" series. I found the 3 volume series to be very informative and cover the whole campaign, both politically and militarily rather well.

I like that it does not ignore the Tyrolian uprising, or the Italian theater in favor of Wagram and Aspern-Essling.

Regards,

Jeff
jeffzcubfan

Re: Thunder on the Danube

Postby FBC-Elvas, Portugal » February 28th, 2013, 8:19 pm

I haven't but it certainly sounds interesting.

Please write a review of the series on viewforum.php?f=16

Sarah
Friends of the British Cemetery, Elvas
FBC-Elvas, Portugal
Forum Moderator

Postby Mark » February 28th, 2013, 8:32 pm

Not yet but long been planning to. I would be interested in a review if you fancy doing one?

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby jeffzcubfan » February 28th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Happy to. When I get time this weekend I'll sit down and do a quick summation and review of each.
jeffzcubfan

Postby jeffzcubfan » March 1st, 2013, 3:10 am

Thunder on the Danube: Volume I - Abensberg, 496 pages

John H. Gill's study of the Campaign of 1809 against Austria, begins with this Volume. It covers the period before with an analysis of the events leading to the outbreak of war. It accounts how the war faction of Austria, led by Graf Joseph Stadion, steered the Austrian people to the inevitable conflict. The first 120 pages are dedicated to the preparations for war. The book covers the actual military campaign up to the 23rd of April, discussing all the maneuvers leading to the Battles of Abensburg and the Battle of Eggmühl.
Gill does a fanstastic job of covering both aspects of the campaign, explaining the political motivations as well as he does describing the maneuvers and interactions of commanders in the field. You truly come away with a great feeling of how quickly the rivalries of the 'old guard' of the Austrian military and the 'new guard' (reformists) competed and eventually contributed to the disaster that was the Bavarian campaign of the spring of 1809.
In addition to a great narration of the military maneuvers covered in 180 pages, Gill includes 70 pages of well detailed maps and Orders of Battle down to the regimental level, which makes a great reference for the wargamer. He also has over 100 pages of further notes, added in the rear to give more details and to avoid clogging up the narration for those people that don't have an interest in that level of detail. You truly begin to understand how much the Austrians have not yet developed their military up to the quality of the French army, especially in the areas of logistics and large scale communication.

Defintiely worth the read.

Reviews of Volume II and III to follow.

Regards,

Jeff Zimmerman
jeffzcubfan

Postby Senarmont198 » June 6th, 2015, 11:23 am

The three-volume study is definitely worth reading and having in your library. Gill's previous book, With Eagles to Glory, about the Confederation of the Rhine troops in the 1809 campaign, is also valuable and worth having.
Senarmont198

Postby Mark » June 7th, 2015, 8:18 pm

I have all four of his books, but still have not read them due to my considerable 'to-read' pile.

If anyone has read all his books, please do post some reviews.

Mark
Mark Simner BA (Hons) MSc | Web: http://marksimner.me.uk | Twitter @marksimner
Mark
Forum Administrator

Postby Emperors Library » June 14th, 2015, 11:58 am

I have read all four of the books and recommend them highly to anyone interested in Napoleons 1809 campaign.
The books are well written and easy to read.
I learnt a LOT from these books!

Paul
Emperors Library

Postby DaveH » July 2nd, 2015, 3:00 pm

Interesting that despite his third volume, there is still no real "blood and guts" account of Wagram, the second biggest battle of the period.
DaveH

Return to War of the Fifth Coalition 1809