Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

Stralsund 1809 Michelin(?) or Savettier de Candras

For all discussions relating to campaigns fought by the coalition of Austria and Britain against France and Bavaria of 1809.

Stralsund 1809 Michelin(?) or Savettier de Candras

Postby Dominique T. » July 12th, 2016, 4:24 pm

I am studying Schill's under detaking in 1809. Sam A. Mustafa, in his very interesting "The Long Ride of Major Von Schill: A Journey Through German History and Memory", writes about a general Michelin, the new French military governor of the town after it's retaking by the Dutch and the Danes.

I can find no mention of a French general Michelin. (I have been looking in all obvious sources, Six, not even a colonel Michelin in Quintin, no Dutch general (or in Dutch service) either, even if the name sounds French) No high-ranking French officer with the Légion d'honneur with that name either.

Until the fight at Damgarten on the 24th of May, general Savettier de Candras is governor of Stralsund. He leads the (Mecklemburg) troops to the place before the fight, then completely vanishes and is not heard of again.
Nevertheless, in March 1810, he is the one who gives Swedish Pomerania back to Sweden !

He doesn't seem to have been blamed by Napoleon, gets a command in 1812 and is killed at the Berezina.

So here are my questions : who is that general Michelin and what happened to Savettier ?

Could anyone please help ? Thanks in advance.
Dominique T.

Re: Stralsund 1809 Michelin(?) or Savettier de Candras

Postby DaveH » July 12th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Probably went off to invent tyres! :lol: I'll get my coat .....

Seriously, if you put 'michelin stralsund 1809' into Google Books, he turns up as a Dutch Lt-colonel - which explains why he isn't in Six! After the Waterloo discussions, what is it about the Dutch being invisible? Michelin commanded the fortress of Stralsund, whereas Savettier was the Governor of Pomerania, albeit presumably being based in the fortress.
DaveH

Re: Stralsund 1809 Michelin(?) or Savettier de Candras

Postby Dominique T. » July 13th, 2016, 9:07 am

Thanks.

I have indeed to improve my searching in Google Books. ;)

In fact, Michelin - indeed a Dutch with French name - was appointed governor of Stralsund after the retaking of the town.

In the meantime, I found that Candras had fled to Stettin, but on order by his superior, Liébert. So that is the reason why he wasn't blamed.
Dominique T.

Return to War of the Fifth Coalition 1809