Napoleonic Wars Forum

The Napoleonic Wars 1792-1815

The Telegraph | British Rocketeers at the Battle of Nations

For all discussions relating to the coalition campaign of 1812-1814 that led to the defeat of France and Napoleon's exile to Elba.

Re: The Telegraph | British Rocketeers at the Battle of Nati

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 16th, 2013, 10:04 pm

Seems like a connection to me.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby USM » October 20th, 2013, 8:45 pm

If anyone takes this theory seriously, I'll have to write up how the 100+ Americans helped win Trafalgar all on their own. I won't have to do any research and it'll be just as believeable.

While Im at it I will also cover a personal theory on the advanced communications abilities of the early to mid 19th century armies and a possibility of time travelers. It looks promising.
Attachments
o-CIVIL-WAR-REENACTOR-FAILS-facebook.jpg
o-CIVIL-WAR-REENACTOR-FAILS-facebook.jpg (45.53 KiB) Viewed 464 times
4a03a0b8e7d6e132c0939edf07ace8da2604ca8a.jpg
4a03a0b8e7d6e132c0939edf07ace8da2604ca8a.jpg (26.17 KiB) Viewed 464 times
Fortitudine!
Put your trust in God, but keep your powder dry - Oliver Cromwell
USM

Postby Lt.Campers » October 20th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Totally agree Leatherneck - the ubiquitious mobile phone has no part in an historic battle re-enactment
and neither does the mobile phone camara.

To my mind it undoes - all the hard work they've done to get the uniforms and equipment, just right
and as authentic as they can.
Let's face it their are plenty of friends and family of the re-enactors who could take the pics
for them.
The first in the field and the last from the Taverna
Lt.Campers

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 21st, 2013, 8:30 am

The title of the article is, yes, a bit gaudy, nevertheless despite it being blown out of proportion we must remember 1st it's the media, a headline like BRITISH ROCKETEERS HAD SMALL PART IN BATTLE OF LIEPZIG, is not a very catchy title, and since they did fight there, they did "Help" to win the battle, not exactly decisively perhaps but certainly they helped as much as any other single unit did that day.

Secondly personally I'd like to know more about the 100 Americans at Trafalgar, were they came from, which ship they fought on, were any commended, what happened to them afterwards, how many wounded or killed, their names if it's recorded, just as I was interested to know about this little known piece of info, they did have their part to play in the battle like everyone else. I personally am just as interested in the fact that there was a Black sergeant fighting with the highlanders at Waterloo, or that a pretty woman was killed charging with the cuirrassiers at Waterloo, how many Irishmen fought at Gettysburg? That the Spanish were activly engaged during the American Revolution, that yet another woman served as an officer of Hussars in the Russian army of 1812, or a dozen other small parts of famous battles that don't need to be included in an overview.
( I'd just got through reading about an American who was badly wounded fighting for the RN at Guadaloupe in 1810, he said something like what was it all for if I get killed fighting for King George.) I wouldn't quote me I was skimming for primary facts, but that's why we need the little known ones to be highlighted sometimes.

Thirdly the Reenactor thing is funny! if a little out of left field on this post, just be gentle with them wouldja, they are modern people after all and if they went too much the other way we'd brand them as escapists, let's face it the guy at the bottom looks a little past his time for active service if we're being strict.

Josh.
Adventures In Historyland, Keeping History Real. http://adventuresinhistoryland.wordpress.com/
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby USM » October 21st, 2013, 3:47 pm

Thanks for not taking that to heart :lol:

To start, a 1/4 of the RN was impressed into service and by the turn of the century we know that there were more Americans in the Royal Navy than the American one. Their numbers will never be known because the mentality of the period was that a born Englishman could not be naturalized into any other nationality and the British were certainly not going to acknowledge the American identity. The US govt. claimed anywhere from 6-10,000, a small handful were returned but the rest could not be traced.

As for Trafalgar, 22 of those were on the Victory.

"514 English, 89 Irish, 66 Scottish, 30 Welsh, one Manx4 and one merely designated only as 'British'.
Several represented the colonies and possessions of Britain;
Maltese 6, Canadian 2, Indian 2 and one from Jamaica.
Others are listed only by region, some of which may have been British subjects;
West Indian 4 and one African.
There were 22 men listed as 'American', as we shall see below at least one of these was from a prominent English family, most of the others were probably impressed at sea.
Other nationalities were represented;
9 Italians, 7 Dutch, 4 Swedish, 2 German, 2 Swiss, 2 Danish and 2 Norwegian. There were also one each from Portugal and Brazil.
There were also 4 Frenchmen listed as members of the crew, whether they had been prisoners of war, or men fleeing the rule of Napoleon is not recorded.
The last 48 are listed as 'nationality unknown."

Even today many people decline to acknowledge these smaller nationalities, arguing that they fall under a larger category (Canadian, Welsh, Irish etc)

You might find this amusing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_gWsWcs3Qc
Fortitudine!
USM

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 21st, 2013, 8:33 pm

I think you'll find me pretty easy going ;)

Fascinating info about Trafalger by the by, I knew that the RN pressed many nationalities, but it's great to get details like this. There should be a separate thread so we can discuss it further. (it wouldn't be hard to be bigger than the US Navy, what with them having only 6 frigates at the beginning of the war and all, despite this, when they went yardarm to yardarm with a fellow frigate, they sure did pay off the investmen)

Nice video too, Conan O''Brian has got a great dead pan delivery... You know what forget that, this is a brilliant video, though I don't agree with the comments, Conan is obviously a natural soldier...
Pleasure to make your acquaintance by the way, I don't believe we have ever Traded posts. *doffs hat and bows*

Josh.
Last edited by Josh&Historyland on October 22nd, 2013, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby USM » October 21st, 2013, 10:43 pm

*doffs hat and bows*"

Thankee.. :lol:
I will tell my men to fire a salute from the 24 pounder.
Fortitudine!
USM

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 22nd, 2013, 12:18 am

You are very good sir, And I shall return the honour. :D

Josh.
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

Postby USM » October 27th, 2013, 9:28 pm

You misspelled honor.
Fortitudine!
USM

Postby Josh&Historyland » October 27th, 2013, 10:09 pm

Oho! so we are playing war of the words are we?
Well I can play that game too, and the 1828 dictionary is outside the timeframe for this forum, so I'm afraid as per the rules I spelled it right ;)
(And if that doesn't satisfy you then I warn you I have been reading about General Alex Dumas... Therefore so long as I know what honOUr means I care not how I spell it)

Josh.
Josh&Historyland
Senior Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to War of the Sixth Coalition 1812–1814